1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

dixie chopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newblade, May 22, 2005.

1. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

What would make a dixie chopper cut better than, say an exmark? Why would dixie chopper be better. I own Exmarks and a friend of mine has bought a dixie chopper. I am just wondering what the technical differences are. I haven't seen him operate it yet either.

2. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing. A mower is a machine that spins a blade. I look for things like the deck, the ease of operation and the cost. I also am interested in ease of maintenance and dealer support more than brand name. I have a Dixie, love it. But... many other mowers will do just as good.

3. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

You'll know once you schedule a demo, and can operate it with one hand.

Having said that, we'll yield the floor to LawnSite's good friend's Richard Martin and Lawn-Scapes.

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=354442

(a top bar search for "dixie chopper")

4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for making me feel like I have to respond.. LOL

I don't know if I would say one is better than the other. As was said above.. you will need to demo and make a decision for yourself. Having owned a 60" Lazer Z for three years prior to the two 72" Dixie Choppers I currently own... I would have to give a slight edge to the Lazer in cut quality. Having said that... I wanted/needed something faster with more hp. So... I demoed a Hustler, Toro, Kubota and Dixie. I decided on the Dixie because none of the others had the speed/hp combo that Dixie offered. The cut quality was so close that it was a non factor. What really sold me was the comfort and smoothness of the Dixie. I didn't feel near the fatigue at the end of a day.. that I did on the Lazer. They are all great machines.. It's just that I prefered the Dixie.

Good luck.....

5. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

Thank You. No matter what mower you say is better than another there's always gonna be someone who says so and so makes a better machine. The fact is you could name 10 companies that make great machines. Who has tried them all on A daily basis to compare them, no one. As long at it does what you need it to do effectively and efficiently without problems then its a good machine.

6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am sure deck design plays a role in how well a given machine cuts. I have demod 3 choppers now, and thought all cut very clean. I am impressed with their cut, and have no great reasons why I think they do such a great job. I think in certain circumstances they excell my Hustler's, but in others I think they fall a bit behind. Not that they don't cut clean, just that I feel they fall off in the discharge of clippings when moist or wet.

That said, with a recent demo of their Ext Mow Machine, I would never opt for it over any of the major mowers. The quirky features are too much for me to take. I am sure you would get used to many of them, but for me, they are not an option no matter how great they cut.

To each his own.