1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dixie Choppers and Generac engines ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SMOOTHCUT, May 2, 2006.

1. SMOOTHCUT

SMOOTHCUT LawnSite Member

Now I,m looking at the Dixie Choppers. A friend of mine bought one and loves it. I tested one yesterday and was impressed. It had a 30 HP Generac engine with 50" cut. I don't read much about them on this site, why not?
    They seem to be well built and very easy to service when necessary. Ran good -cut good. What about them Generac engines? They are designed for continuouse run use on generators. Also the dealer was a top notch lawn care guy before opening the business. He cut full time with them, 16-20 yds a day. Any info would be appreciated.

2. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

I own one and love it. 30hp on a 50in deck, are you sure it's not a 60in deck?

3. SMOOTHCUT

25 hp Generac on 50" cut

4. SMOOTHCUT

Which mower do you have? How long? What kind of problems? How much do you cut?

5. ACEMowing

ACEMowing LawnSite Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Generac really a Briggs and Stratton. I was thinking Briggs owned Generac... and from I've seen of the engines, they look like a Briggs Vanguard. I know the cheaper Briggs and Generac power washers and generators are the same as I have seen them side by side.

6. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

Not the same. I know alot of people that make the Generac engines...That's why my dixie has a kawasaki.

7. SMOOTHCUT

You say you know a lot of people who make the Generac. I don't understand cause Generac is an engine company just like honda, briggs, ect. Also, they are offering a 3 year warrenty on the engine. You think it may be a bad choice? It is the only choice I have on the Coatsville Classic with 50" cut.

8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I have 2 72" DC with 32hp Generac. Other than one blowing a hole out the side prematurely.. no problems. I love 'em.. never bog down. 30hp is a lot for a 50" deck IMO.

9. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I field tested two Dixies for Turf magazine back in September '05.
    Both had Generac motors, for more details (the article is kind of long) - acquire a back issue of the article.

10. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

I was under the opinion that Generac engines were B&S since I had to do some work on my Generac generator, the parts that I bought from the Generac service center were B&S parts. The manufacture's plate read Generac, however the model, type, and code # are identical to B&S.