Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll put my opinion out there and see what happens. Dixie Choppers are the biggest pile of defecation on the planet! I maintain a small fleet of them for a large school district in Oklahoma City so I have a basis on which to form an opinion. The problem is they use old technology with their numerous chains, pulleys, brackets, idlers, springs, tensioners,etc. If a modern ZTR mower doesn't have all these parts then it stands to reason that they aren't going to break. Please tell me why Toro and Scag etc. can do the job without having to use these troublesome parts. I think D.C.'s are made more for selling parts for profit than for profit at the time of sale! Also their advertising seems to brag about how fast their machines are. They boast 15 mph. mowing speeds but I would like to know where it would be safe to mow at that speed. It would have to be a perfectly flat soccer field with very sparse, short grass. It just doesn't make sense. I would like to hear other folks opinions on this.
Thanks, Lacebark Boy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes ----, I have used a Dixie Chopper quite extensively and I also own a Toro Z-Master 255. I stand by my statement. As an example of what I am talking about look at the belt engagement system on the D.C. as compared to the Toro. The D.C. uses a hand operated overcentering device that looks like it came off of a 1962 Sears Craftsman or a Western Auto special. This is connected to several brackets with bushings that wear out , there are also several springs, pivot points, links, etc. The Toro uses one electric clutch to accomplish the same thing, as does most of the other manufacturers.I think the mfg. of D. C.'s even think they have too many tensioners because they came up with an engine jack screw to tighten one of the belts. This looks like something a pimple faced high school punk made as a vo-tech project. Face it ----, Dixie Choppers are the " AMC Gremlins" of the lawn care industry.
Lacebark Boy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.