1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

DIY electric backpack blower conversion using RC plane motor

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by austinb82, Nov 24, 2015.

1. austinb82

austinb82 LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone here with more engineering knowledge than myself has any thoughts on the feasibility of this project. Some online hobby shops sell DC brushless electric motors for RC planes. Some of these motors are rather substantial so I imagine they are for a large RC plane. Some are rated in a gas engine cc equivalent, this one is rated to replace a 50cc gas engine which I think is comparable to a decently powered backpack blower motorhttp://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17987__turnigy_rotomax_50cc_size_brushless_outrunner_motor.html. They also sell lithium batteries so I imagine if you knew what you were doing or did enough research you could potentially adapt the motor to a leaf blower and with enough batteries get some decent run time. If you didn't take the cost effectiveness vs just using a gas blower into consideration are there any other reasons that this would not be feasible?

2. mikeypizano

mikeypizano LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, you will need to factor in a few things, like you need a speed control, and that is an out runner motor, so the impeller will need to be bolted to it. The problem is they are pull a lot of current, so you need beefy batteries, which may only last for 10-15 minutes. You also need to factor in that to use the ESC, you need to convert the throttle cable to work with the ESC which uses a radio receiver and transmitter.

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Absolutly anything is possible, but with this class of brushless that you chose you will never obtain a useable amount of run time, especially when you bolt on a impeller a load and mass that in itself is far to large for the output of this class of motor then add the drag of the impeller in use and your dead. Your better off useing dc motors of higher voltage that can perform under high load. Not low load high output motors

4. Sparc

Sparc LawnSite Member
    from NJ

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

How exciting! I long for the day that we done have to carry mixed gas anymore.

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Up to 120 minutes run time , wonder what that works out to at 100% throttle? 20 minutes?

7. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Gold Member

I love mixed gas, 2.5 gal does a lot of work, concentrated power in a can.
    Plus i can be anywhere on property mowing and can smell that my trimmer/blower guy is working. ;)

BrandonV likes this.
  8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

Imagine a day when u never have carb problems, spark plug problems, air filters.... it'll come one day.

9. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Gold Member

Imagine the day when your battery pac wont charge, or the electronic controller mal functions, or the moter overheats, or you can't find the charger.
    It will be new machine new problems.

dishboy likes this.
  10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Or the high tech battery blows up in your garage when your not home burning the house down and killing all your pets....

zraffz and Mow-Daddy.com like this.