DIY electric backpack blower conversion using RC plane motor

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by austinb82, Nov 24, 2015.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

pretty much but electric motors have many fewer parts.

2. Sparc

Sparc LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I don't know that electric tools are better, just different. Nice to have a choice with an equal amount of power and features if you don't like messing with or storing gasoline.

Yes, a different set of maintenance and safety issues. The battery concern is a valid one that can not be overlooked. I check (by feeling the battery to see if its hot from a high discharge rate) and let them cool down after heavy use before I charge them and I keep an eye on them while charging. I run the chargers through a heavy duty timer and set it turn off shortly after the battery has fully charged (which is usually <80 minutes based on a completely drained battery). That way if I do forget then the power will be removed from the charger. Not a complete solution but it helps.

3. rorrer.jus

rorrer.jus LawnSite Member

You might be better off buying one. I have a electric brushless boat and running it at full speed I only get a 4 minute run on a full charge. That is with the boat going 25 on water.

The only electric landscaping item I own is a hedge trimmer. I went battery over gas because it isnt used that often and I heard numerous people saying gas hedge trimmer exhaust sucks since it blows back into your face. The only thing I have to do is make sure I have a spare battery for large jobs and Im good to go.

4. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl already makes a battery powered blower and an extended battery pack that you wear on you back like a backpack. The battery blower itself is a pretty robust unit with decent output and pretty good battery life. We have three of them in service and they work great.