DIY Operator Controlled Discharge Chute for Push Mowers

OP
OakNut

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
Location
Pittsburgh PA
I can't believe that it worked out so perfectly using that factory hole.

The rubber/EPDM bungee is definitely what you want to use vs the standard shock cord bungee. You don't need this bungee as much for it's stretchy-ness (is that a word?) as you do for it's sturdiness.
When you pull on the cord, the chute opens FAST, vs taking a moment while a shock cord stretches until it will open it.
Position the bungee properly and you really don't need it to stretch that much at all. I'll bet a rope would work almost as well.

I'm glad I used a 41" bungee vs the 36" that the video guy used.
I don't have to bend or stretch to reach it. It's PERFECT.

 
OP
OakNut

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
Location
Pittsburgh PA
UPDATE:

This is making my life so much easier.

It works great and never falls off the "at rest" eye hook even when the handle is straight up for transport.

I did need to make an adjustment to the length a few days ago. The side cover closed while I was mowing with it in the open position. Apparently the bungee had stretched out just a tiny bit.
The easy fix (and exactly the reason I made it this way) was to shorten up the zip ties at the bottom where the snap hook is connected. I just pulled each zip tie about a half an inch more to make the loops a little smaller, and it's been fine ever since.

If I had just used the S hook at the end, I wouldn't have a way to "fine tune" the overall length to account for stretching.

Gonna have to rig one up on my Super Recycler now too!
 

Turf Tracer

LawnSite Fanatic
Location
Niagra NY
Best mod on these units is remove the kickers. Same deal on Commercials. More room for grass to circulate. No need to side blow usually. Step up to a 22290 and anything it can’t mulch would blow chunks out the discharge of the 159/SR’s
 
OP
OakNut

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
Location
Pittsburgh PA
Another update.
Wish I had done this years ago. Such a simple thing makes such a big difference.

I finally had one of the two zip ties that form the loop on the discharge chute cover break, so I replaced both.

I've been cutting a lot of overgrown stuff because of all the rain and skipped cuts, and this makes everything so much easier.
 
OP
OakNut

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
Location
Pittsburgh PA
Still one of the best improvements I've ever made.

Doing this has not affected the side cover at all. It hasn't twisted, cracked, or otherwise changed. The holes I drilled in the plastic have not become enlarged.
Aside from the zip tie breaking (I blame that on how it gets beat on in the trailer by the wood I use as a spacer between two mower decks), it's been 100% reliable and a 200% improvement in keeping grass from blowing where it shouldn't be.
 

Top Forums



Top