DIY vs company in CT

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jm3250, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Jm3250

Jm3250 LawnSite Member

not sure if this is the right spot so I apologize if its not. Newer home owner and I am trying my best to get the yard in shape. Did landscaping on nice properties for years when I was younger and always said I would have "that" yard when I could.

Never did much as far as fertilizer and soil care and Im trying my first go at it. Results have been "ok" at this point but Im just running the Jonathan green program.

Starting to add up a little bit, as I was about to get a soil test as well and Im wondering if Im not spending my money well. A good service may be comparable, more knowledgeable then me, and have better products at there disposal too. I enjoy doing it myself but a good company may be able to do a way better job.

Lemme know what you guys think or if you know any top notch places to look into in central CT.

Thanks in advance!

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Ivy League landscaping in Milford/orange CT
    Give them a call

hort101 likes this.
  3. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Work on doing a soil test proper and send it in
    Even if you get a pro the test will help and you won't be waiting for the results

4. Jm3250

Jm3250 LawnSite Member

any suggestions on where to send soil? Ive been searching on here but haven't seen anything as far as remotely close.

5. Jm3250

Jm3250 LawnSite Member

thanks buddy looking into them now

edit: they don't service up in my area unfortunately

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  6. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic

Check your local county ag extension
    Rutgers does it too, not sure what ag college your closest to in CT

Walker56 likes this.
  7. Jm3250

Jm3250 LawnSite Member

just googled the colleges, looks like UConn does it, nd my local AG office does it for free! Ill try and get it out asap and then report back. May just battle this myself. I also have some "red thread" starting/spreading in the yard so I may just throw down some nitrogen and give it the good old college try lol

For the soil sample, I was going to one for the front, back, and my side yard. Or is that unnecessary ?

hort101 likes this.
  8. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic

Not a bad idea
    There should be instructions on how to get the best samplesThumbs Up

Walker56 likes this.
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you had soil hauled in, it should be about the same in the front and back. Same climate, same bedrock, same glacial till with rocks and gravel. Front and back could have been treated differently by the previous owners, of course.
    A small business can give you personal service. They will have the proper equipment, and knowledge of what to use.

Nitrogen for red thread. Good idea. That should work. Avoid water at night or after 5 pm so that the grass never goes to bed with wet plants. LOL! Fungi spread fast at night. Try to irrigate more minutes--but only two days per week; this reduces the average humidity.

There is another lesson here. If you add seed--sow a top quality, disease resistant variety. Avoid disease-prone old-fashioned or generic-quality perennial ryegrass.
    A ryegrass like Apple SGL is good.
    At least try to get seed in the top 30 percent of the tested varieties in the National Turfgrass Evaluation Test.
    http://ntep.org/reports/pr16/pr16_18-1/pr16_18-1.htm.

If purchasing retail, then Scotts is usually the most modern blend.

FromUndaChz, Jm3250 and hort101 like this.
  10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Phil the owner will be able to refer you
    He’s very connected in the industry in that state and runs/sponsors CLT there
    Just tell him you were referred to him
    And he would know who to suggest.

He also runs a landscape supply business so many of his customers are also landscapers that May service your area.

It’s better than letting your fingers do the walking

hort101 likes this.