1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Do I have a shot?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Axl, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. Axl

    Axl LawnSite Member
    Messages: 233

    In order to have a legitimate shot at scoring a commercial account, do you have to offer full service(mowing, bushes, mulch, fertilization, snow removal)? My only concern is fertilization seeing as I don't have the license to do so.
  2. westwind

    westwind LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 444

    in my opinion, yes. it has been my experience that commercial accounts are more receptive to FULL SERVICE companies. that won't prevent you from getting clients, however it may limit the number you are able to estimate. good luck.
  3. chevyman1

    chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 852

    just sub out the work and bid the proposal as though you are doing it all yourself
  4. 65hoss

    65hoss LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,360

    Call some spray companies in your area. Ask them to give you a bid. Add that number in and let them spray it for you.
  5. dcondon

    dcondon LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,246

    Just what I was thinking!!
  6. lsylvain

    lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 779

    Yes, like the other guys said you can always sub out the other services you don't provide. I did very little ferts (only for friends and just to be nice.) I didn't see the profit in it unless you did a ton of them and that wasn't what I wanted to do. Many times I convinced clients that they were much better off using a company that specialied in it and refer them to another company. Don't forget to talk to the other companies and set up a referal agreement So you get a cut of the deal. I usually got between 10 and 15%, hey it isn't much but it's easy money.
  7. The landscaper

    The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 845

    you dont need a license for just fert right?
  8. 65hoss

    65hoss LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,360

    Correct, but rarely will you only fertilize. There will be a need for pre-m's, post emerges, fungicides and insecticides at some points during the season.
  9. yrdandgardenhandyman

    yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest
    Messages: 953

    In my state, you need a license for fert and pesticide. You have to take a test for the pesticide license but not for the fert. You can get a fert only license pretty easy. Just send in the app, but the DOA told me you MUST have the fert license to apply fert. I find the fert license handy for lawn repairs and aerations. Don't want to do the pesticide. Too much hassle and liability.
  10. chevyman1

    chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 852

    In NY, you can spread fertlizer without a specific license for it (dry applications only)...spraying and buying other chemicals you need a license and/or apprenticeship accredidation

Share This Page