1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Do I need a CDL?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by spudman 2, Dec 8, 2010.

  1. MDLawn

    MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,284

    As per NYSDMV website

    I'm also not here to argue just posting what I have found. Its seems the magic number is any over 26k (single vehicle or combo) needs CDL. In new york there are 3 classes to cdl A,B,C.

    1.1 - Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMV)
    You must have a Commercial Driver License (CDL) to operate any of the following CMVs:

    Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more.

    A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds if the gross combination weight rating
    (GCWR) is 26,001 pounds or more.

    A vehicle designed to transport 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver) or a vehicle
    defined as a bus under Article 19-A, Section 509-a of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law (VTL).

    Any size vehicle that is used in the transportation of any material that requires hazardous
    materials placards or any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR 73.
    Federal regulations through the Department of Homeland Security require a background check
    and fingerprinting for the Hazardous Materials endorsement.

    Drivers of the following vehicles that otherwise meet the definition of a CMV are exempt from the
    CDL requirement:
    A vehicle owned and controlled by a farmer that has a GVWR of more than 26,000 lbs and is
    used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm products within 150 miles of the farm

    A vehicle primarily designed for purposes other than the transportation of persons or property
    (commonly referred to as Special Purpose Commercial) with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs or less or,
    if the GVWR is more than 26,000 lbs, not able to be operated at normal highway speeds

    Fire and police vehicles engaged in emergency operations in New York State

    Military vehicles or combination of vehicles operated by members of the armed forces

    Personal vehicles (including rental vehicles up to 26,000 lbs GVWR) when operated strictly and
    exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members for non-commercial purposes
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. newjerseylandscaping

    newjerseylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,174

    Looks intresting,
  3. Valk

    Valk LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,742

    Dang. After reading straight through all this...I NEED a beer. :hammerhead: :drinkup:

Share This Page