do i need a license for scotts fertilizer

stonebridge

LawnSite Senior Member
i have 7 yards that i do in a subdivision and they all buy the scotts fertilizer and have asked me to apply it next season for them. i don't want to loss them and don't want to get fined either. they all want the 4 step appl. for the season. i don't want to get into the fertilizing but if they buy it and i'm there why not? it will only be scotts fert. from home depot or lowes nothing else.

gebby

LawnSite Senior Member
If it's Scotts 4 step. I agree YEP !! Now in OHIO you do not need a license for just fertilizer. I don't use Scotts but have in the past at home. The 4 step has Pestiside in it and yes does require a licence. The customer can buy and spread them selves with no problem. Home owners need no license but, if you apply commercially you need a license. Even if YOU lay for free it is my understanding since you do not own the property you are still breaking the law. Silly I know but, that's the law of the land.

boats47

LawnSite Senior Member
Here in New England, if you are for hire and applying a product to control something it is considered a pesticide and requires certification. Organic or not if it is used to control a pest and is lable as such you need a liscense. Don't get caught applying as the fines are are more expensive then going and taking the test, why not just get the certification and be done with it?