1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Do I need a license?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rider1000, Mar 18, 2001.

  1. rider1000

    rider1000 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 47

    If I want to apply fertilizer and broadleaf weed control in granular form to my mowing accounts, do I need a license for this? I live in Indiana.
  2. John DiMartino

    John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,555

    I dont live in indiana,but Id say yes you do,if they are anything like the rest of the USA.You'll need insurance too,while your at it.If its not a big job,sub it out,and add a few dollars for your trouble.
  3. Skookum

    Skookum LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 675


    In Indiana you need a applicators license to apply anything that kills. So yes, you need a license to apply a pesticide in a granular form. The applicators license is obtained by a series of tests; Tech, Core, and Category. You would also need a pesticide business license which is just a fee.

    You do not need a license to apply granular fertilizer though. Only fertilizer license required is when it is a liquid tank mixed application. The fee is $100.00 a year with no test or qualification other than maybe a liability insurance minimum.

    Check for yourself though with the state chemist office at (765) 494-1492 or http://www.isco.purdue.edu

    Hope this helps!
  4. Dean Gillette

    Dean Gillette LawnSite Member
    Messages: 4

    Scott, don't forget to mention Indiana's tough "experience" requirement for becoming a registered tech! You must either work 90 days under a licensed business (i.e. your competition) or take a 2 day hands on workshop. Then, a trip to Purdue to take your tests.
    I'd recommend the workshop even for experienced applicators if you want to be successful on your first shot at the core and catagory tests.
    The workshop I went to (at Purdue) featured Turf God Dr. Zac Reicher who heads up the Midwest Regional Turf Foundation of Purdue University and is a prof in the agronomy dept. Fred Whitford of Purdue coop ext tells all on pesticide handling and law, and a whole bunch of other guys talk about everything from moles to molds. It's worth the price. Incidentally, so is a membership to the MWRTF. Find Zac and other turf superheros at http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf.
  5. Skookum

    Skookum LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 675


    I was unaware of the use of a workshop to get out of the 90 day tech time. When I began my license process, the only way out of the 90 days was be a college graduate with a turf degree, so I was told by the WITCH that answers the phone. I found a loop hole though after talking to Carl Rew. He explained that I could hire someone that has an applicators license to work for me and then I could get my 90 days under them. I have a friend that worked for Purdue grounds department that had a license. So, I hired him. Then the ISCO said he could not work at both places at once due to the avaliablity requirements of the applicator surpervising others. I was able to make a deal with the ISCO, that the applicator worked for me after 3:00 pm and on weekends, so I could not apply during his Purdue work hours. After 90 days, I was able to take the applicators test. Carl Rew bent the rules alittle for me, and for this alone I think he is a great guy to have there at the ISCO. Sometimes, by the book does not always apply.

    The workshop sounds like a really good deal! This is one thing that bothers me about this state's lack of follow through. When you apply for a sales tax license, the state should send all information regaurding your business, like what licenses might be required and numbers to reach those offices. The ISCO should also follow up with the exact information needed for this type of business on a more basic approach. In otherwords, examples or senerios of what your campany wants to do and if it would require a license. The legal mumbo jumbo can be confusing.

    I get all the ISCO stuff all the time, but have never seen where they came out with this workshop to get around the 90 day tech time. Your right about God Zac, but Fred will wear you out! Since I live 2 miles from Purdue, I would like to take the workshop even though I do not need it to get a tech requirement. If I could get some CCH's for it as well, that would be great. Along these lines, I would recommend to anyone in Indiana taking the Purdue offered courses before attempting the category tests, it makes a very big difference!

    I am alittle upset at the MWRTF and the ISCO right now. I checked SCOOP the other day, and have not received any of my CCH's for attending the Turf confrences in Indy back in January. I need those hours! I e-mailed Carl at the ISCO, but have not gotten a reply just yet as to this issue. I hope they just have not been posted to SCOOP yet. I would hate to think I spent the whole day down there with no CCH's!
  6. Dean Gillette

    Dean Gillette LawnSite Member
    Messages: 4

    I've spoken to the WITCH several times. I don't think she likes her job much...

    I believe the workshop that I attended was the Turf & Ornamental seminar in November. It offers 9 CEU's, if I remember right. The price was a bargain for the info and networking, and I really enjoyed spending a night in W. Lafayette; a very nice town by the way. I found out about the course by talking to the WITCH. She didn't seem to have time to explain it to a bone-head like me, but after some begging I convinced her to just mail me a flier so I wouldn't cut into her break time by talking to her on the phone.

    I've never used SCOOP. I got my test results in less than two weeks by mail, and they told us the SCOOP results wouldn't be posted for a month. I think they're just a little slow in posting them. I imagine that just about every certified person in the state takes the majority of their CEUs and cert tests during the short off-season; that's gotta be a lot of info to input into the system!

    Yeah, Fred's a talker. But the neat thing about him and most of the other inspectors and educators is that they speak from experience. Most of them started out sprayin' bugs and grass just like us. Seems like they are more interested in helping us out than strictly enforcing regulations. As the EMS Director for our county, I deal extensively with other state agencies, and concern for the taxpayer/citizen definitely isn't why most of their employees work there! Aside from the WITCH, I'm pretty pleased with the Chemist, Co-op ext., and Purdue! They must be in a better mood because they don't have to live in Indy (oops, didn't mean to blurt that out...uh..Go Colts!).
  7. David Gretzmier

    David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,645

    sheesh, be thankful you have people that answer the phone. Down in Arkansas, they are so understaffed at the plant board that nobody enforces the licenses, unless you hold one! The people that don't take the test spray all the time, fertilize, and the plant board only has time to pick on the people TRYING to follow the law. All the applicaters around here uses "AGENTS" and they don't have to pass a test, or meet any real requirements other than working for a liscense holder. I actually took the time to get certified and continue education. there , I've vented. Dave g
  8. Skookum

    Skookum LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 675

    Got E-mail from ISCO today. The CCH's have not been posted to SCOOPS yet, but they will be soon.
  9. mmorgan

    mmorgan LawnSite Member
    Messages: 51

    Scott and Dean:
    I have held an Illinois Pest. License for 5 years. I am in Hoopeston, IL. which is 4 miles from the IN. state line. I am interested in aquiring an IN. license. Given my experience, can I get away from the workshop or 90 day deal?
    I will not work for my competition, as I am pretty busy with my own business. I have had to turn down some potentially great jobs only a few miles from my location, due to the state line. Please don't tell me that IN licensing is a nightmare. I don't have time for a bunch of Chem. 101 stuff.
    Please reply here, e-mail me, or call me at home. Thank you

  10. Skookum

    Skookum LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 675


    Best bet is to contact the Indiana State Chemist Office at (765) 494-1492 or on the web at http://www.isco.purdue.edu They should be able to answer that question much better than me.

Share This Page