1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

do i need insurance on the trailer

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by zmowingmaster, Jul 12, 2005.

  1. zmowingmaster

    zmowingmaster LawnSite Member
    Messages: 237

    i just recieved my plate renewal form,it states on the back that i have to provide insurance name and number...do i need to buy insurance for the trailer...if yes, could you please tell me how much approximatly it might cost for my 5x10 open trailer....by the way, my current insurance covers only my truck, i called them and they don't do trailers ,i called esurance too and they don't do that either
  2. Richard Martin

    Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 14,699

    Call any major insurance company like Allstate, State Farm or Progrssive and they automatically cover trailers. I have my truck covered by State Farm as a utility truck (multi-purpose) and they cover my 7X16 trailer on the truck insurance.
  3. DLS1

    DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,619

    You can also call an Independent agent that represents several companies to find the best deal. You also need to insure all your equipment (mowers,trimmers,etc.) so it will be replaced at replacement cost if you get in an accident and it gets damaged,fire, stolen or ?.
  4. Precision

    Precision LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,995

    My trailer insurance is like $30 per 6 months. So just get some. Major carriers will do it.
  5. zmowingmaster

    zmowingmaster LawnSite Member
    Messages: 237

    thanks guys
  6. DiscoveryLawn

    DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 408

    My trailor is also included in my truck insurance at no additional charge. Do you have a commercial vehicle policy on your truck?
  7. zmowingmaster

    zmowingmaster LawnSite Member
    Messages: 237

    no commercial policy, i pay regular insurance, 379 dollars full coverage for 6 months. would it be worth it changing it to a commercial policey and include the trailer. by the way i am a solo operator and this truck is for personal use too.
    thanks for the replies
  8. DiscoveryLawn

    DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 408

    If you have an accident during a time your truck is being used commercially, your insurance company will not be responsible to pay the claim. You definately need a commercial policy.
  9. DLS1

    DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,619

    This may not be a true statement depending on the insurance company. I do the lawn business part-time. The truck is covered under my regular auto insurance as long as I don't put a permanent business sign on the truck. I can put a magnetic sign on the truck when I am using it for the business and take it off at the end of the day. I specific asked about the the magnetic sign.

    Getting commercial insurance if I remember correctly was going to cost $800 more a year.
  10. MarcSmith

    MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 7,157

    I had USAA for my insurance carrier was told trailer was covered, truck was titled in the business name, tagged int he business name and they were fine with it. when I had my accident, trailer was covered, but contents were not. FINE PRINT..read it very carefully. Thankfully the other guys insurance covered some of the damaes, but I was still out of pocket.

    Spring for the business insurance to cover your equipent and what not. You can be over insured, but being underinsured really stinks when you need it....

    Proper insurance is a cost of doing business it get passed on to your clients

Share This Page