Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need to put down straw on large bare spots if I slit seed my lawn? Some bare spots are large (100 sq.ft.) where I killed off Dallisgrass and Orchardgrass. I just finished plugging it good and I did a soil test last spring. The soil test suggested more lime and I put that on then.
Thanks for the help.
Rob

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Depends on rainfall and temperature.

I can tell you that out of all the slit seeding I am going to do this fall...I will not straw any!

That is one of the major benefits of slice seeding IMO!

With putting the seed INTO the soil (seed to soil contact) you can get by without adding any straw.

No bigger then the areas are...you could add straw, but probably not needed!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have been using a slit seeder, and must admit I can't see where it "drops" into the hole. Maybe I am confused as to what a slit seeder is. It has about 7 tines that roll along the ground and make holes in the ground. Then the hopper above it rotates and drops seed on to the ground. On mine, the seed doesn't exactly go into the holes though.....? I assume that when I water the grass, the seed seeps down into the holes? I'm sure it is better than nothing though.
I also have a plugger just like this without the hopper. It rolls along the ground, and "plugs" the ground.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
A slice seeder doesn't make "holes" as it does exactly what it says and creates a "slice" or grove in the lawn.

You will not get all the seed into that area and that is ok, but most of it will be in or very close to it.

What you are really looking for is to get the seed in contact with soil and if you go over it 2 times or more you will not have any trouble doing so.

Great method to seed!

I am not sure what type of unit you have that would poke holes and drop seed. Do you have a name or brand of equipment you are using?

·
Registered
898 Posts
If you have seed on bare ground exposed to the elements and birds it will probably die or be eaten before it starts to grow. Even if it germinates a hot day will kill it or the UV will get it. The straw is a protective cover from these things. Even seed that gets buried may make it to a plant only to die from UV exposure the first day above ground.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
If you have seed on bare ground exposed to the elements and birds it will probably die or be eaten before it starts to grow. Even if it germinates a hot day will kill it or the UV will get it. The straw is a protective cover from these things. Even seed that gets buried may make it to a plant only to die from UV exposure the first day above ground.
Bob,

I hear ya...and it should make sense, but I seeded 34 acres last year and did use any straw.

I guess I can disagree on this! I have had EXCELLENT success when not using any straw.

Again, if it is dry or very hot I would recommend some cover but anything from now until fall should be fine without straw.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.