Do I need to have commercial insurance on my trailer

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by matt arends, Apr 29, 2013.

  1. GQLL

    GQLL LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 846

    We insure 5 trailer for full replacement value with nationwide for 100 dollars a year. That cover theft vandalism fire or collision. I'd rather pay 100 a year then have to spend 8 grandto replace a trailer
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. OakNut

    OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,104

    Correct answer.
  3. KG26

    KG26 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 134

    I just want to do an insurance check list. Do any of you have insurance on anything else besides the following. commercial Truck insurance,
    Trailer, (depending on the size does you commercial insurance cover your trailer?)
    Business liability insurance.
  4. Four Gardens Landscape

    Four Gardens Landscape LawnSite Member
    from MA
    Messages: 8

    Hello Matt,

    I just recently went through this as well just take note I am located in MA so I do not know if it is the same where you are located.

    I found out that I needed commercial plates in order to conduct business as a landscaper in MA so that commenced my search to find plates. I was told by two insurance companies that I would be OK with a personal policy including something called a "class-30" which is a business use class on my insurance policy however, I decided to go with a full commercial policy just to make sure I am fully covered no matter what.

    Business liability insurance is also a great idea. I have heard people say they would not step on to a property without it.

    Hope this helps,

    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  5. JB1

    JB1 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,904

    just be very careful if your personal covers your truck.
  6. jonniebud

    jonniebud LawnSite Member
    Messages: 32

    U use it for work does it make u money then yes don't welfare out it just mite cost you more in the long run
  7. clipfert

    clipfert LawnSite Member
    Messages: 205

    Why ask a bunch of landscapers? Go and speak with your agent. It realy does not matter if you have one customer or a million customers you need to be insured.
  8. TML

    TML LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 871

    I just got commercial insurance on my truck. I also spent the extra $26 and insured my trailer. It was explained to me that I would be covered liability wise only if the trailer was hooked to the truck and a crash occurred involving the trailer; however, any damage or replacement cost to the trailer would not be covered without the insurance. It also covers any odd type of incidents that could happen to the trailer when it is unhooked.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. elbow300

    elbow300 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 52

    Your insurance agent will be knowledgeable on the policies he/she offers. In my experience, agents are the best resource for insurance questions. When you speak with him or her, just remember that they are there to sell policies. Don't be afraid to say "I'm not interested" or "I'll keep that in mind" and don't get pushed into anything you don't need or want. It is easy to spend so much money on insurance and overhead that you are working for free. And, I believe it is a good practice to shop for better rates and benefits every couple of years or so. That alone has saved me quite a bit of money and given me a good bit of knowledge over the years.
  10. TuffTurfLawnCare

    TuffTurfLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 667

    I have 16 lawns or so that I do weekly. I drive a 2003 GMC 1500 and tow my equipment on a 6x10 trailer. I have commercial insurance on the truck and trailer, general liability to cover the business and an inland marine policy to cover the equipment. If the equipment is stolen, and you don't have inland marine coverage, your SOL.

    Call your agent and/or call a few and get quotes. prices very dramatically from one company to another so be sure to check them all.

Share This Page