Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been in the business for over 15 years and have never used em.
i have a ferris 48" dual drive hydro i was thinking about putting them on. how do they work?
do they mulch up grass well even if its high?would the lawn need to be gone over twice for them to work?can you still catch the grass and have a nice finish even with mulch blades on?

· Registered
5,163 Posts
I've used the JD mulching blades and while they leave a good cut I was still having to double cut. No, I could never get a bagger to work very well with them. The best mulching blade I have found thus far is the Meg MO setup. Meg Mo is a sponsor of this stite. WWW.Meg-MO.com

· Registered
107 Posts
Had my first experience with Gator blades yesterday. Verdict: they don't seem to do much on St. Augustine. Maybe it is too wet/heavy.....I did run over some wildflowers that my coworker had cut and left on the sidewalk...mulched them up quite well.

It could also be that my [boss's] deck baffles are bent and cut in several places.

I will be obaining a set for further evaluation on my own equipment soon......

· Banned
13,159 Posts
gator blades and mulching blades are two different things. yes, the mulching blades are great. i have em on my bobcat 36, and 48, as well as my 32 exmark. they mulch good and give a quality cut. as far as running over twice, if its high and wet, u will double cut reguardless of the blade type

· Banned
11,101 Posts
mulch...gator...whatever.

I have been through several sets of mid lifts and two sets of gators before I turned to high lifts.

personally...the single high lifts do it for me.

the ole lesco 48 throws clippings to the next county! (which aint so hard since it is pretty near by.)

GEO

· Registered
109 Posts
Quarracer,
we have been useing the ferris eliminator blades for a few months now on both our 61 ztr and 32 wb
1 pass better than high, low, or gators
2 passes = awesom nice clean dark stripes no clippings ( unless unusally tall)

we do use a bluebird bagger on our riders some time and they work fine but it is motor driven I have a grass gobbler for the wb but have not used it, we made a chute cover and made the 32 a deicated mulcher - may try double elimnators on it next week if i get time

by the way the eliminators are a little pricy.:)

· Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Dr. Mow
Quarracer,
we have been useing the ferris eliminator blades for a few months now on both our 61 ztr and 32 wb
1 pass better than high, low, or gators
2 passes = awesom nice clean dark stripes no clippings ( unless unusally tall)

we do use a bluebird bagger on our riders some time and they work fine but it is motor driven I have a grass gobbler for the wb but have not used it, we made a chute cover and made the 32 a deicated mulcher - may try double elimnators on it next week if i get time

by the way the eliminators are a little pricy.:)
were can i get these eliminators and see a picture of them?

i usually never use the catcher with my ferris since i have a walker and do almost all my catching with that but on acation when i think its too wet or have a steap hill ill catch with the ferris.most of the cutting i do with the ferris is done were i dont need to catch but i figure with mulch blades ill be able to not catch more often, am i right?

· Registered
1,333 Posts
Originally posted by bobbygedd
gator blades and mulching blades are two different things. yes, the mulching blades are great. i have em on my bobcat 36, and 48, as well as my 32 exmark. they mulch good and give a quality cut. as far as running over twice, if its high and wet, u will double cut reguardless of the blade type
Thiis has been true for me also. I have a TTHP 48" with mulch kit and blades installed. I've tried hi-lifts with the kit and had poor results.

· Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by QuadRacer041
were can i get these eliminators and see a picture of them?

i usually never use the catcher with my ferris since i have a walker and do almost all my catching with that but on acation when i think its too wet or have a steap hill ill catch with the ferris.most of the cutting i do with the ferris is done were i dont need to catch but i figure with mulch blades ill be able to not catch more often, am i right?
anyone?????????????????????

· Registered
109 Posts
your ferris dealer should be able to get info on the baldes for you or check out there web site.

a mulching kit = individual baffles ( chamber) for each blade and a chute cover

mulching blades = type of blade

mulching blades are a little more tricky to sharpen due to the little ( curve) in the blade - ther is a upper and lower plain.

· Registered
1,301 Posts
Using mulching blades on St. Augustine. Red Dwarf, don't know why you didn't have success with them. Been using them for some time, almost all lawns I do are St. Aug, they do an excellent job.
You're mower set up for mulching, or you just using mulching blades? They're usually not great for that type set up.

High lift gators, aren't they a type of mulching blade Bobby?

· Registered
107 Posts
Originally posted by Rustic Goat
You're mower set up for mulching, or you just using mulching blades? They're usually not great for that type set up.

High lift gators, aren't they a type of mulching blade Bobby?
Just put the Gators on because those were the only sharp blades we had, and I been wanting to try them anyway.

The boss' equipment is trash anyways, decks are shot....rust holes, baffles all bent up and cut...

I'm going to get a set and try them on my own mower soon.....

· Registered
284 Posts
I have a 60" exmark with a mulch kit. It works so well that a couple of clients thought we started bagging. Not to mention clean up is a breeze now. No grass in the beds and very little on the sidewalks and drive.

· Registered
1,037 Posts
Another huge benefit of a mulching kit is that your chances of chucking a rock 200 feet into a car or house window are much much less as it's a real weird angle to get a rock even to move from under a mulching kit.. With side discharge, you can play home-run derby if you hit a rock the right way.. Having it where you have no discharge is definatly safer, faster to clean up and better for the lawn.

Gary

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.