• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Do they make spindle brakes?

JCLawn and more

LawnSite Fanatic
I thought that it would be cool to have a brake system for the spindle so that when you mow hills it will lock the spindle and keep you from turning down hill. Does anyone make one?

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
Are you talking about something to lock the front caster wheels on a mower?

1993lx172

LawnSite Bronze Member
OP
J

JCLawn and more

LawnSite Fanatic
I don't think it would be dangerous. Zero turns have ridiculously low centered gravity. I was thinking a foot pedal so that all you have to do is release and the mower would just turn down hill and not flip. And yes, on the casters. Front for mid mount and rear for front deck. Cub Cadet has a zero turn mower with front steer casters. It would be no more dangerous than that model.

OP
J

JCLawn and more

LawnSite Fanatic
i'm half tempted to make one. to mow 40 degrees or so. I can do it with my small zero turn if I aim up hill.

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
I thought that it would be cool to have a brake system for the spindle so that when you mow hills it will lock the spindle and keep you from turning down hill. Does anyone make one?
It ain't the spindle doing it, and it's called a caster but the front casters don't do any steering, it's not like a car.

Just like on a shopping cart the front wheels aren't driving the cart, you are.
The casters merely follow along whichever way you turn it.

Same with a lawn mower, the rear wheels do all the steering, and if a mower that's
on a hill starts to point down it means the rear HIGH tire is losing traction.

That having been said those tedbrakes MIGHT save you from a dire disaster, and it certainly won't make matters worse.