Do you burn no ethanol gas in your mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Mowing monkey., Jul 26, 2019.

1. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I used to before I got a diesel mower. I do in all my other small engine equipment the biggest of which is a wood splitter and I’ll continue doing so but for a mower does it help anything or is it a waste of money? It’s no doubt worth it for winter storage but what about the times when it’ll be used in a day?

2. dago52

dago52 LawnSite Senior Member

I run it in all my equipment. Not to much of a price difference where I'm at.

Cam15 and Mark Oomkes like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

It’s about 50 cents a gallon sometimes more difference here. Which isn’t a huge difference on the daily total but every little bit helps. But the Kubota diesel only burns about 3 gallons a day which is sweet compared to what my gas guzzling Kohler was burning.

4. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Jersey

I was using ethanol free in handhelds up to this year, but on the great advice of Charles, I added Star Tron to E10 gas & have had zero problems. Before I had a lot of problems using E10 gas.

5. agm

agm LawnSite Senior Member
    from NM

I dont. I use regular gas. We go through it enough that it doesnt have "too" much effect on equipment. It still does, as in having to change fuel lines and carb rebuilds more often but not to bad for us.

Cam15, Mumblingboutmowers and hort101 like this.
  6. weeze

weeze Banned

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

You're fortunate enough to live in an arid or semi-arid climate.

We run it in everything but trucks. I had some in a generator that I fired up last week, smelled like crap but it fired up. It has pretty much eliminated stored equipment issues, carb cleaning, water in fuel, etc.

MowDaddy likes this.
  8. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

We only use non-ox in all equipment also.

9. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

In the mowers no. Cost 60 cents more per gallon, and is not available in my county(for some reason my county passed a law making it illegal to sell non ethanol gas...)
    For 2 strokes I burn alot less fuel, so when I drive to the neighboring county I'll grab a few gallons. They run so much better with no ethanol. Also I've started using the non ethanol for my last tank of the season in mowers and my motorcycles.

10. PR1

PR1 LawnSite Member

I fill my 5 gal gas can with 3 gal. Of 86 non ethanol and 2.5 gal of 91 ethanol gas. Brings the ethanol level to below 5% and keeps the octane somewhere around 89. The only non ethanol fuel sold in the Austin area is 86. I tried the VP fuel sold at dealers but it's too expensive !