Do you charge for Dig Safe Check?

Dirtman2007

LawnSite Platinum Member
Wondering if you charge for your time to schedule and meet the utility people and/or have the customer take care of it.
Dont charge anything for that. it takes 5 minutes to call it in and tell them were you will be digging and tearing up. I rather spend 5- 10 minutes on the phone than yank up some utilites. Sometime we just have the customer call if its at a house. they usually come out within 48hrs of the call

tailboardtech

LawnSite Senior Member
I don't charge for it I just mark where I am going to dig when I am there with white paint and give them a call. depending on what's going on I have them mark it before I even give them a price to do the job if I think there's a lot underground that way I can charge accordingly (If its going to be a lot of hand digging or potholeing). So well, I guess I do charge for it in a way. I have a feeling this is going to get a million different answers
Posted via Mobile Device

jbrockmann

LawnSite Member
No charge. As said before, it's free to call in. We never meet the utility guys because you never know when they come. Takes 5 minutes to call, 10 minutes to spray white paint. It's called Dig Rite here. Call pre-bid (usually) and again pre-work. Markings are ony good for a week or two, then you're responsible again for hitting something if it's not currently marked.

AWJ Services

LawnSite Platinum Member
Here in Ga they threaten fines if we call in a location on a job we do not have so I rarely locate while bidding. I do however have establish that my estimates assume clear digging which means no utilities. So once I have the job I locate. No I do not charge even if I have to whit line or flag. Remember the location is for your protection and safte as well as theirs.

Fireguy97

LawnSite Senior Member
Here in Ga they threaten fines if we call in a location on a job we do not have so I rarely locate while bidding. I do however have establish that my estimates assume clear digging which means no utilities. So once I have the job I locate. No I do not charge even if I have to whit line or flag. Remember the location is for your protection and safte as well as theirs.
We have a bit of a difference is the way that our utilities are "located" in this part of the Country. BC 1CALL spends thousands of advertising dollars letting everybody know *how easy* it is to call and get all the information that you need to dig safe. The problem is that nobody comes out to actually perform a physical locate. They email us maps of where the utilities were buried when they were originally installed, then tell us that we have to hand dig to find the utilities because terrain and landscaping could have changed since the original install. The best part is that sometimes the maps are drawn after the original installation contractor has done a whack of installs, and draws - what he remembers about the site. I have received maps of utilities that showed that they were on the front of the house when the gas meter was on the side of the house.

If we want an accurate on-site locate we, or the client have to pay $125 - $200 for an actual on site locate from an independent locate contractor.

Mick

Last edited:

GreenI.A.

LawnSite Silver Member
We don't charge, as others say it is only a 5 minute call. My install contracts spell out the amount of feet we will dig by hand due to underground utilities, this is based of of what we expect from walking the property, there is then a price per additional 10' dug by hand if needed. The only time I could see charging extra would be if a circumstance required us to meet with each of the different locators, in which we would have to wait all day over a day or two for them all to come out.

AWJ Services

LawnSite Platinum Member
We have a bit of a difference is the way that our utilities are "located" in this part of the Country. BC 1CALL spends thousands of advertising dollars letting everybody know *how easy* it is to call and get all the information that you need to dig safe. The problem is that nobody comes out to actually perform a physical locate. They email us maps of where the utilities were buried when they were originally installed, then tell us that we have to hand dig to find the utilities because terrain and landscaping could have changed since the original install. The best part is that sometimes the maps are drawn after the original installation contractor has done a whack of installs, and draws - what he remembers about the site. I have received maps of utilities that showed that they were on the front of the house when the gas meter was on the side of the house.

If we want an accurate on-site locate we, or the client have to pay $125 - $200 for an actual on site locate from an independent locate contractor.

Mick
That stinks.
If you hit something that is not in the correct spot then what happens?

Dirt Digger2

LawnSite Silver Member
see you have to be careful...in a lot of states the serial number for the one-call only covers the person who called it in. Therefore your homeowner calls it in, you hit an unmarked utility, then you are accused of digging without a one-call because you never officially called it in and are therefore liable for the damages

as for PA...they actually have a website (you have to take a 2 hour classroom class to gain authorization) but you can enter the cross streets, directions, draw on a map where the work will be taking place...it takes the phone call and explanation out of the equation...a very nice system...free to take the class and well worth the 2 hours of time

AWJ Services

LawnSite Platinum Member
see you have to be careful...in a lot of states the serial number for the one-call only covers the person who called it in. Therefore your homeowner calls it in, you hit an unmarked utility, then you are accused of digging without a one-call because you never officially called it in and are therefore liable for the damages

as for PA...they actually have a website (you have to take a 2 hour classroom class to gain authorization) but you can enter the cross streets, directions, draw on a map where the work will be taking place...it takes the phone call and explanation out of the equation...a very nice system...free to take the class and well worth the 2 hours of time
Ga is similar.
Here if someone gives you permission to work under there location ticket then they assume 50% responsibility.

Here you can take a course and do your locate tickets as well.