Do you charge more based on equipment ?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by paulsgrass, Jul 24, 2019.

1. paulsgrass

paulsgrass LawnSite Member

I seem to have a lot of questions today :)

I am curious do you charge more per job based on equipment ? ex. a push mower is less then a ride on or stand on mower. So, would you charge more for a ride on ? I realize the ride on is much faster then a push mower but also on average 10 times more expensive. So do you charge 10 times more ? Just curious .

2. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

A $30 yard is going to be a $30 yard regardless of the equipment I own.

The benefit of the larger machine is efficiency. The customer is charged the same price. So theoretically if you were only able to do 12 lawns a day with a 21, you can potentially cut the time it takes in half with the new machine and service 24 lawns a day.

GrassManKzoo, agm, sjessen and 3 others like this.
  3. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Silver Member

But if you have a bigger mower like a zero turn, but the only way to get on it is with a push mower that's going to be more. Also if say your just weeding your not going to charge as much say trimming bushes just cause you arnt using any equipment as opposed to a 2 or $300 hedge trimmer.

kemco and That Guy Gary like this.
  4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

My lawn is a $30 lawn I don't care if you cut it with a pair of scissors and it takes you all day or you have a crew of 10 and it takes you three minutes the price is $30

5. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Per Cam15 yes, let's say I'm bidding a larger lawn that would normally be a $60 lawn... But because someone built a 30" wide gate we would have to use 21" mowers on the back. Well that will take more time... So that will cost more money. It all comes down to how much time we will spend on the yard. The man hour rate that the customer doesn't see doesn't change.

6. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

That's how I look at it. I've invested in expensive equipment so that I can be more productive. My rates are based on that productivity level even if I'm forced to use something less efficient.

I'm not going to push mow for 25/hr even though I did while young and it was all I had. If my rates are too high I'm just not the provider they're looking for.

7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

I charge the same for weeding as trimming shrubs. Don't really enjoy doing either of those tasks. But, it does "build character.";)

RussellB, oqueoque, Cam15 and 2 others like this.
  8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

I use the golf club analogy with some clients. I can drive the ball 300 yards with the driver and I'm bidding the job that way. But, you want me to use a putter and expect the same price. So how about we play golf where I get to use all of the clubs but you only get to use your putter. Who do you think will win?

9. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Jersey

We charge more if a customer wants us to use a small mower ( 21" or 30" ) on a lawn that could be cut quicker using a larger mower.

10. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Same here.

Usually, though, I pass.

kemco and oqueoque like this.