Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
regular residential, twice a month, small backyard. Lady text me for a quote, I responded about an hour later. She tells me she text another guy already for a quote but Im more then welcome to bid too. I passed. Wwyd?

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
regular residential, twice a month, small backyard. Lady text me for a quote, I responded about an hour later. She tells me she text another guy already for a quote but Im more then welcome to bid too. I passed. Wwyd?
I'd give her the price you had in mind. But depends on if you are time limited or account limited. If you are maxed out on work prob too high a maintenance client and a skipper, impatient can't wait an hour for a response, needs things done now now now! If I was looking to grow and it helps with route density, maybe ....

·
Registered
13,618 Posts
I'm not interested when they do this. She doesn't need to tell you she is getting other quotes.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
This is hard to understand.
When you replied, did you give her a price at that point, or were you just responding to her inquiry - maybe to get an address or something?
It doesn't sound like she's asking if you can beat the other guy's price - it SOUNDS like you just got mad that she asked someone else for a price, and gave up.

I mean, who cares if she says she also asked someone else for a quote? Any normal homeowner is going to call more than one person.

·
Registered
811 Posts
For 2022.
I have been told 2x it is hard to find someone . That companies are not taken on new.
Or .Not answering the phone.
I would give her a price.
Depending upon how it fits on the schedule . How I bid it.
I gave a price on a property Wednesday
That I was already doing.
( A New owner. Took over. )
I was asked if I would do 10 day.
Or could go lower.
That he would let me know. He wanted to get other bids.
I got the call Monday to keep it on my schedule.
This year. It is almost like.
Less people are going after the work.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If it fits your route send a price, if it doesn’t, don’t. I couldn’t care less how many quotes a customer gets, my price is the same. Customers get sick of hiring joe schmohe with a mower they always have to call to get to come mow. Other customers just want to have their weeds chopped down every couple weeks and the $25 guy who shows up whenever for some cash under the mat works just fine.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
For 2022.
I have been told 2x it is hard to find someone . That companies are not taken on new.
Or .Not answering the phone.
I would give her a price.
Depending upon how it fits on the schedule . How I bid it.
I gave a price on a property Wednesday
That I was already doing.
( A New owner. Took over. )
I was asked if I would do 10 day.
Or could go lower.
That he would let me know. He wanted to get other bids.
I got the call Monday to keep it on my schedule.
This year. It is almost like.
Less people are going after the work.
My new accounts this year were people who had a guy for 3 years prior to this season just ghost them in July.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
My new accounts this year were people who had a guy for 3 years prior to this season just ghost them in July.
I just picked up a high end residential where the guy ghosted them. He'd worked there for over 10 yrs! It isn't just the cheapos that get ghosted.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
She's just trying to see who will go the lowest. FYI, i already have bids, so don't go too high if you want the work. that's essentially what she's saying.
Regardless, work for what you want to work for.

If it was a complicated quote obviously you'd want to approach it differently. Just mowing? look at it, give her what you'll do it for and carry on

·
Registered
19,226 Posts
She's just trying to see who will go the lowest. FYI, i already have bids, so don't go too high if you want the work. that's essentially what she's saying.
Regardless, work for what you want to work for.

If it was a complicated quote obviously you'd want to approach it differently. Just mowing? look at it, give her what you'll do it for and carry on
Anyone who says- I already have two bids so don't go too high.... is someone who you do not want as a customer!! I'd immediately pass.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I guarantee she will be a nightmare of a client. Cheapness is not just about money. It's also a sign of the person's personality too. I just started. I've had 2 or 3 people not respond to my quotes for weekly mowing. "Oh 65? The guy is doing now actually pays me to do it. Can you go any lower?"
"No. Sorry. Take care."
There's a reason why the 15-20 regular customers I have are very easy going, quick paying, and are appreciative of the work I do. I don't just mow. Honestly, I feel like mowing is just a way to get all of the other work.
I'll make more in one or two days than a full season of mowing for the other jobs.
I do trees to a certain degree, pruning, felling and removal, lawn services and applications, planning and planting beds, clearings, cleanups... hell I'm even doing deck work for one client over the winter and taking a shed down for another. My friends' in the business complain so much about these nightmare customers. The guy I used to work with had such pain in the ass customers and probably broke even on certain lawns because he was afraid to say no at the time. Plus he had so many customers, he had to turn down a lot of the larger work!
It's really physically and mentally exhausting. I'm not charging as much as the big companies. Not even close, but I go at my own pace. Until I get it running smoothly and find an AMERICAN to work with me, I'll keep it as is.
You're the boss. You don't need some annoying lady busting your balls every other week. What was the difference in price? 5 dollars? 10 dollars? Get lost lady.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts