Do you double cut or single cut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnInnovationsOmaha, Feb 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. LawnInnovationsOmaha

LawnInnovationsOmaha LawnSite Member

Just curious where everybody is at in terms of mowing. I've always liked how double cutting looks better. I think it's more even (and before anyone says anything, I sharpen my blades twice a week, and I'm very good at it.) I've always seen a huge difference in double cut vs single cut. So I double cut all of my clients' yards every time. But what do you guys think?

2. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

I don’t have that time built into my schedule to do that for everyone. There’s a couple I have to double in the summer months since their clipping are out of control if I don’t. But it’s decidedly not part of the regularly scheduled service.

voslawn, weeze and 13Razorbackfan like this.
  3. LawnInnovationsOmaha

LawnInnovationsOmaha LawnSite Member

Before I was self-employed I worked for a couple of companies that single cut everything. Then I worked for another company that would double cut everything. We would double cut 20-25 residentials per day with 2 man crews. Commercial crews would double cut 7-10 acres per day. Had to move super fast but we got paid right for it. Once you get used to it, you can actually double cut almost as fast as most companies single cut. It just takes some getting used to.

4. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

Ridin' Green and hort101 like this.
  5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Well, I change blades daily, but I like to double cut.
    I always figure properties for a double cut.

you're NOT REDOing the whole property per se, the trim, edging, mowing around every obstacle doesnt get redone... just the main "pattern" or any where it just doesnt look perfect.

On the much larger properties, pretty much just double cut anything that's easily visible.
    the front, stuff you can see from the CEOs office window. etc.

On smaller residential it takes longer to trim, drive to, unload and reload, than it does to slap on a double cut.

I know a lot of people are expecting their mower to perform in such a way that its one pass perfection, I just dont find that consistently repeatable.
    Most guys are trying to chase that elusive "dollars per hour" with their speed, instead of bidding for it, which is why they get so frustrated with their machine.

Used to be you could make a lot of ground up with a ZTR or a walker, now they are the standard, people are bidding for the max performance times a manufacturer claims and there is little time left for a double cut.

Im pretty sure most of the "old timers" are still allotting for that double cut.

Ridin' Green, JayinKs and ShaneL. like this.
  6. TPendagast

Male

this is my experience too, like is aid you arent literally cutting every inch again, and you can go much faster speed on the second go around.

Of course there's times when I tell the guys to cut everything at 3.5" and then do it again at 3"...just to get the monster lawn down under control.

Ridin' Green and ShaneL. like this.
  7. ShaneL.

ShaneL. LawnSite Member

I normally double cut everything but late last year started using my mulch kit and am pretty satisfied with it so far. Gonna be tough when the season really gets going tho but I will give the mulch kit a try this spring

8. JayinKs

JayinKs LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes yes sometimes no. Depends on how much the yard has grown since the last mowing. In spring when we get plenty of rain and things are growing good then I almost always have to, on my fescue yards anyway. On the more weedy yards I can usually just single cut until the weeds really start taking off and growing then I have to double. Mid summer when it gets hot and things have slowed down then I can single cut a lot of my yards. All in all its really hit and miss.

Ridin' Green, ShaneL. and hort101 like this.
  9. TPendagast

Male

your clippings are more out of control in the summer? Vs. spring?

10. TPendagast

Male

I mulch in the summer months, spring is usually discharge/collect and fall is collect.

ShaneL. likes this.