Do you drug test ?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by marcusmac99, Oct 16, 2017.

1. marcusmac99

marcusmac99 LawnSite Senior Member

Hello,

The latest and likely a cost effective option, seems to be using those drug testing lollipops. These absorbs saliva and that is then sent away for evaluation. They are like a swab test. Do any of you use this testing for per-employment testing?

Cheers.

2. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

Pretty much saying we drug test keeps most from applying for a job.

3. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Yes, we do drug testing and have a couple of different accounts that require random submitting of tests to stay with them.

4. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

Firstly we have not tested in the past. Last guy I hired, with me 6 months roughly, told me the day I hired him he's willing to take any drug test yadda yadda. He's now in jail on heroin, possession and intent to distribute. Guess I should've tested. I'll be watching this thread for some info.

marcusmac99 and JLSLLC like this.
  5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe he just dealt and abided by dealer rule #1. Don't use your own stash. Seriously we don't test on hire but we will test on incident or reasonable suspicion of influence. I certainly don't condone the use of illicit substances but I also respect the persons right to privacy. Only when it affects their job do I make it my business.

ebone capone, kemco and hort101 like this.
  6. kemco

I've always said a similar thing. What you do on your own time is none of my business unless it effects or you bring it into my business. Maybe that's a little too lax.

7. gcbailey

from WV

The old calling your bluff on drug testing.... "Sure man, test me any day, all day..."

8. kemco

Yep, exactly right hindsight now 20/20... But dang he was a good worker for the most part could run all equip. Is what it is.

9. gcbailey

from WV

Unfortunately, if you have larger contracts with nationwide companies, state agencies or federal agencies your employees problems are your problems..... I briefly stated above that I have a couple accounts that require any sub-contractors (my company) to submit random tests if required. They also require submitting to their company wide PPE program, which I did have a guy get me wrote up due to not wearing hearing protection. I was pretty pissed about that.

10. kemco

Seriously, are they walking up and looking into the ears of workers? I provide the 32 db roll foam earplugs but unless you were truly looking I don't thing you'd see them. Wow.