Do you give your potential customer a flyer/brochure??

Ijustwantausername

LawnSite Silver Member
I'm talking about the first meet with a potential lawn customer. I generally get the job, but when they "have to think about it", do you give them anything with a "thank your for calling" or something with other information?

I'm trying to get legit next year and I want the first meet to be as professional as possible.

lawnman24949

LawnSite Member
It depends on what service they want done. If it is just mowing I leave them with the quote because I already have the amount of lawns I want but if they sign up I'll take it. If they want a bigger job done I'll leave them with the quote, sometimes pictures of jobs that are similar to what they want done and some references if asked.

orangemower

LawnSite Silver Member
I'm talking about the first meet with a potential lawn customer. I generally get the job, but when they "have to think about it", do you give them anything with a "thank your for calling" or something with other information?

I'm trying to get legit next year and I want the first meet to be as professional as possible.
So you've been running an illegal operation all this time? :hammerhead:

CircleC

LawnSite Senior Member
I think a paper brochure/bids are great, however; I think people are becoming more and more reliant on technology. We use smart phones that you can watch TV, movies, check your email, buy movie tickets, and even as a small business take a payment from a customer. I have been wanting to get an IPad or some kind of tablet. Using the tablet for personal presentations when I show up to the property.

When you show up to the property looking as good as you can (if you haven't been mowing all day) and you have something like an IPad to show your work, show your website, show work you did that week, or show comments from other customers. Everyone says "I can do that", but if you can accually show a customer a job you did that week/day or a job you are working on currently. That is mind blowing....its endless. You can instantly email them a link to your website or Facebook page. You can give them a bid via email instantly or even have them sign an agreement and email it to them instantly. I just think the "show me" side of people is becoming more and more important in this business. What are they actually getting for their money. With all the compatition out there, you have to set your self apart and I think this a way. I think it shows progression on your part.

Yes, you will get the old lady who whats paper and that's fine. Because you have that available as well. But most people are up to speed on email and things of that sort.

You wanna be "legit" show people you are on the UP and UP....show people you have something better than hand written bids, something John's Lawn Mowing CAN NOT GIVE THEM!

yardguy28

LawnSite Platinum Member
i rarely meet with clients in person. a lot of my clients have yet to meet in person and i've been working for them for at least 2 years.

whether i meet them in person or not i usually leave a business card with the estimate they are requesting on the back.

they don't get a flyer or brochure until after i'm hired.

i'm pretty bad about keeping brochures around in the first place. i'm not much of an up selling type of guy. i generally just do the work the client asks. but usually try to send out a brochure once a season with all the services i offer so they are aware.

most around here assume if you cut grass you do all the other lawn work as well.