• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Do you guys always measure flowerbeds for much, or can you just eyeball it?

TheKingNJ

LawnSite Senior Member
I’m talking 10 – 20 yards, not 2 yard. I’ve only been in business 4 years and I gave up measuring the beds out 2 years ago. I’m sure you guys will look down upon me for doing this but I often feel that perfect calculations take too long and if I’m + or – a yard its ok. I usually overestimate it so I don’t beat myself out of money but I’ve been short a few times. Sometimes I’ll charge the customer for it, sometimes I will but the 18 bucks and time I loose if I’m short.

Do you always measure it.

OP
TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ

LawnSite Senior Member
tumbleweeds?

Precision Lawns

LawnSite Senior Member
I can eyeball it pretty exactly. For a while I'd measure it out just to double-check myself, but when it kept turning out that my eye was just as accurate as my measuring wheel, I stopped measuring. I don't think I've ever been off by more than half a yard...and I can't even remember the last time that happened...

JJLandscapes

LawnSite Senior Member
I can eyeball it pretty exactly. For a while I'd measure it out just to double-check myself, but when it kept turning out that my eye was just as accurate as my measuring wheel, I stopped measuring. I don't think I've ever been off by more than half a yard...and I can't even remember the last time that happened...
precision is a good word then for you

markam70

LawnSite Member
just wondering, what is "pretty exactly"?

AGLA

LawnSite Bronze Member
If you really think about it, you can be off by 30% and make it work. It does not take a genius or laser eye. If you guestimate 3" of mulch,and order 20 yards when you really needed 30, you'll probably stretch it out by thinning it to 2". You might not even realize you are doing it.