Do you guys do a soil test on every yard?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by AL's, Feb 12, 2018.

1. AL's

AL's LawnSite Bronze Member

Before starting a weed and feed program do you soil test every yard and tailor the apps or do you use a one size fits all for the most part?

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know of anyone who runs soil tests on all properties and/or provides custom programs. A very small minority might take a sample in a neighborhood or geographic area. My guess is that less than 1% take any soil samples.

hort101 likes this.
  3. Reliable 1

Reliable 1 LawnSite Member

All of my properties have soil tests on them...they are all within 2 years old. I use them as a baseline and try to tailor the program accordingly. You'd be surprised in that the soil condition of a property next door may be different than the other.

4. AL's

Alright 2 very different replies.

Thing is, I want a basic standard "one size fits all" type program and my dad wants to do tailored specifics for each property based on soil tests.... the second option just seems like it would be a nightmare to keep up with especially as the weed and feed side of the business grows and gets bigger.

5. phasthound

Excellent!! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

6. phasthound

You can offer both options. Point out the benefits of a custom program and explain why it costs more.

hort101 likes this.
  7. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

I soil test every new yard and current clients every 3 years. Now some clients get the one size fits all approach and some get a tailored program. Depends on clients. But that is more for fert then weed control. Weed control is the same pretty much across the board outside of a few post emergent or fungicide application that are applied on an as needed basis.

hort101 likes this.
  8. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

Not taking a soil sample on a new clients lawn is like building a home without a blueprint...

Reliable 1, phasthound and hort101 like this.
  9. AL's

If some clients get the one size fits all plan then why soil test every yard instead of just the ones paying for tailored apps?

Just trying to get an idea of the process

10. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

If there soil is to far out of wack that they need extra nutrients then the one size fits all won't work. This is where your able to show and explain to the customer what exactly needs to be done. Without the test how can you provide clear and understandable knowledge to the client. The old rub some dirt in your hand and smell it only goes so far. I get paid to do it and makes my company stand out from the rest. It's a win win if you ask me.