Do you install Xmas lights?

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by donamow, Nov 9, 2015.

1. donamow

donamow LawnSite Senior Member

How many houses do you do in a season? How long have you been doing it for? Do you like it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Ibow

Ibow LawnSite Member
    Male, from Hudsonville, MI

Yes, one house per year, our house, every year, for my wife. No I do not like it but she does. 😊
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. supperdude16

supperdude16 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't do it. I would consider though

4. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member

Tell me about it. Every year it frustrates the crap out of me!

5. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I saw a company in a circular offering full service lighting for x mas etc starting at $1500
    Posted via Mobile Device

ericg likes this.
  6. supperdude16

supperdude16 LawnSite Silver Member

they bring the lights too I'm guessing
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Yes looks like full service. I'm thinking other decorations too, like the moving reindeer etc..Quite impressive I must say
    Posted via Mobile Device

ericg likes this.
  8. Ibow

Ibow LawnSite Member
    Male, from Hudsonville, MI

Every year I mutter to myself, "This is the LAST year of this!" Every year, they go up. First it was, "for the kids..." Now it's, "for the grandkids". 😊
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I had one customer too.

Wife just let me retire.

Maybe it was 4 years ago we had a winter where is snowed a lot more then normal and the ground stayed covered the hole winter. Normally snow is gone before the next snow fall. Usually after 1 week 2 weeks tops the snow has melted away. So the lights stayed buried about Christmas till about March before enough snow melted so I could take the lights off of the shrubs and put them away.

10. DiamondMadeLawns

DiamondMadeLawns LawnSite Member

Last year we had 2. One of the accounts was was 3 big commercial buildings. This year we moved up to about 12 xmas light accounts. We already have had more people say they are going to have us do them for taking down this year then all of it next year. Definitely look into it. There is money to be made. Its fairly easy to do. Of course houses with multiple high peaks can be a pain.
    I would say don't look forward to making alot of money the first time. Its after the first time. It'll be slow the first time around. Buy 1000ft C9 cord from the store. Here in omaha you can get everything from Brite Ideas. Start from one side and work your way over. With the tougher higher grade cord you can cut it accordingly to how you need it. Makes it very easy.
    Tear down is important! Seriously, LABEL EVERYTHING!!! which strand went where on what peak, which extension cord went to what strand from what outlet. Because when u go to put up next year you will be in and out. No wondering how'd I do this last year??? We keep the clips on the lights when we tear down. That way when we set up they are already on. We keep everything in standard storage tubs per client. Enough room for all their strands, ext cords, extra clips and lights.
    Some of the bigger companies around here charge for monthly storage of the lights. Like $10 a month or so.
    The initial investment of the lights is expensive! Explain it to the client. At least we've ran into that problem here with our mow customers. They are used to a $40 mow charge and now we are talking about $700.
    If you have someone that hasn't made the switch to LED lights, talk them into it. They are so much more durable. On the 3 commercial buildings we do. There are over 3000 lights. Didnt have to change 1 light this year from last year. Talk about a time saver. They last much longer. And easier on their electric bill. Also don't shatter if you drop one off the ladder ;) haha
    Great work as the mowing season comes to an end. Specially while it seems it doesn't ever want to snow here... sigh.
    Hope this helps, can't say I'm the best at this as I'm still figuring this out it seems. But better than going in blind.
    Posted via Mobile Device

eddc1805 and Trey Brandt like this.