• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Do you know of any place to buy compost in Kentucky?

bad_chad48

LawnSite Member
Hello friends.
I have searched the internet for almost 6 hrs. Talked to the ag extention office, talked to other Lawn care companies. And to my surprise... I can not find any compost at all. Well, I take that back. the local dump has limbs and leaves that they picked up all last year. They sell that as compost. And wal-mart has it in bags. But I am looking for a company that makes and sells compost in kentucky. I want to buy bulk to amend lawns that I install. The closest facility that I found was in Georgia. The haul fee is outrageous.
Please tell me all that you know...
Thanks
Chad

snipandclipky

LawnSite Member
i knew a guy that worked for the city of louisville landscape crew and he said they would go to the dump or landfill, i can't remember which one, but he said they gave it to them free. i don't know if it was because they were with the city but he said that it was great stuff.

brentsawyer

LawnSite Senior Member
Really depends on how much you need. There is a company here in Lexington called Throughbred compost. It sell for 30-32/yd. Not sure about delivery outside the city buy you could arrange that on your own through a contract hauler or they could assist with there hauler. I would give you the # but I'm not sure where it is right now but it is on the web or you could call 411. They could blend with pine chips, topsoil, sand.

OP
B

bad_chad48

LawnSite Member
Thank you all so much... After I started this post, I was able to contact the ag department at university of KY and they too gave me the phone # to the company you both are talking about in lexington. I called them and they are going to send me a sample of their product. I look forwards in seeing their products.
Again... Thanks
Chad