1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Do you mow with the guard up or down?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FDuce, Apr 1, 2008.

1. FDuce

FDuce LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I used to mow back in highschool, had about 10-20 accounts. Anyways, I still have my walkbehind and was noticing everyones pics of their mowers shows the discharge guard being down. I never put mine down unless I didn't want the grass to blow in a flower bead or something. Just wondering if you all mow with it up or down?

2. YoungGun

YoungGun LawnSite Member

always up when the clippings will stay in the grass. you get less clumps and that means more speed!

i put it down for everthing else flowerbeds pool pavement!

3. laxative

laxative LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Mine are removed and in a pile the garage. I know it's stupid but they suck.

4. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto here. Always up unless otherwise needed.

5. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a pile too!!:rolleyes:

6. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Neither up or down - OFF, PERIOD !!!!!!!:usflag:

7. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I run mine in the up position except for tight areas where I am trying to control where the clippings will fly (flower beds, pools...)

8. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I bag so it doesn't apply but have you guys ever had anything fly out such as a rock, baseball, etc. this could cause some serious problems

9. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Driving by a school about 3 years ago and a ztr without the guard threw a rock and took out camper shell window on my pickup.

Administrator wanted me to file on my insurance and then they would pay deductible, I said no way you pay it all. Funny thing was that she had just returned from a safety seminar where this problem was addressed. She said chutes were going back on all school mowing equipment.

10. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.

I've had a rock break a door window while using the bagger. Stuff happens.