Do you need a license in texas?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Bloodstripe, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. Bloodstripe

    Bloodstripe LawnSite Member
    Messages: 5

    I am trying to get a lawn business started here in texas, and was wondering if I need a license for this? Do i need a lic. to spread fertilizer ect?
    I am only looking to pick up a few jobs right now, and was wondering if I need a license to start?
    Any one in texas have and awnsers?
  2. roadhawg3

    roadhawg3 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 51

    I dont know about Texas, but here in Florida you dont need a license as far as I know, I asked the county courthouse about a business license, and they told me there was no such thing in my county. so I went to a larger county a few miles away, and got an "occupational license", and that is what I use on my business cards etc.
  3. mjensen

    mjensen LawnSite Member
    Messages: 49

    Thanks for the feedback. I will call the courthouse in my county and find out what they say. Roadhawg are you new in the business?
  4. SWD

    SWD LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 988

    PM for details - I am running my own company that is licensed for commercial applications, irrigation, and the types of insurance this requires.
  5. roadhawg3

    roadhawg3 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 51

    mjensen, I have been in the "Handyman" business off and on, since about 1973. I am really not a "lawn guy" but I do have a few regular mowing, trimming jobs. I am as they say, "Jack of all trades, master of none". I do everything from small carpentry jobs, home repair, some plumbing, electrical, (absolutely no permit or contracting work), tree trimming and removal, pressure washing, trash hauling, bush hog, land clearing etc, I find that a lot of people have small jobs that no else will mess with, and this is where I come in, I charge by the day most the time, I never usually give a price for the entire job, cause you can get hurt that way. My daily rate for me and my helper, depending on the type of job, and equipment needed, varies from about $250. to up to $550. if I will be using my tractor bush hog and or front end loader. this is PAID DAILY. I do not extend credit. This keeps everyone happy. gotta go give some estimates now, so let me know how your doing. Later, Roadhawg
  6. lavan

    lavan LawnSite Member
    Messages: 25

    You do not need any liscense to spread fert. If you going to any kind of chemical application you will have to get a liscense through the Texas Agriculture Dept. To do that you have to take three classes and past the test and you will be a liscensed applicator at that time. You will have to renew this yearly. If you are just starting out you will not need to get this. Any other questions just hollar be glad to help you..

    Good Luck!!!!
  7. Bloodstripe

    Bloodstripe LawnSite Member
    Messages: 5

    Thanks for the info lavan, but as far as just cutting, do you need some sort of license or something from the county, state ect?
    I might have a job cutting a subdivision common ground for a HOA, so come tax time how do I work this? What I am trying to say is I am trying to be legit and wondering if I am going about this in the right direction.
    Do I need a business license ect?
  8. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

    Davis Lawn Mowing LLC. LawnSite Member
    Messages: 200

    I know in Michigan you do. You at least need a DBA, Doing Business As......I would bet you do in Texas too. Just call the courthouse and ask if you need a liscense for your business.
  9. quiet

    quiet LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 720

    Good luck. You don't need a license, but go to your county courthouse and register your business name. I think mine was $9.

    Run a legitimate business. Charge sales tax, get liability insurance, study and get your pesticide license from the TDA. . . etc.

    Read everything you can on this forum - but remember that a lot of these people deal with Northern turfgrasses.

    There are some very respected members here, and you just got an offer from one.

    . . . take up SWD on his offer. Take notes!
  10. lavan

    lavan LawnSite Member
    Messages: 25

    You do not need any liscense but you might want to get you a DBA from the county clerk. This way you have an established name. There are no liscenses to have to cut and you do not want to get sales tax liscense. This is more of a headache beacause you are going to have file taxes regardless if you sale or resale anything. If you are going to be doing just lawn maintaince you will not need any that this early in the game.
    If you cut a HOA they will probably pay by check so you will need to claim that. I am not going to bring up any IRS issues upon our industry but if they pay you cash that is up too you to claim that. I would just go ahead and file a DBA with you company name and file your taxes. Let me know if you need any other help..

Share This Page