Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never applied a fungus preventative for my customers but I have a few that can use it. They get a dollar spot. My question is what is the best product to control or stop this from starting?
I bought a granual bag of eagle last season but never used it. Any help would be great
Thank you

·
Registered
961 Posts
I found that making sure the lawn had adequate K in the soil went a long way to not having dollar spot issues.

I did a corrective app of 0-0-60 to several in April/May (based on soil test), and zero dollar spot that I saw afterwards. I never had any success with systemic fungicides to start the year, dollar spot showed up anyway. So now I make sure there is more K in the regular N feeding.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I agree on good K levels. I assume you’re up north with cool season turf.

here in the transition zone I offer a premium program with multiple fungicide apps for brown patch. There is a huge difference in those lawns vs my basic weed/fert program

Reactions: sjessen

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes nj, I never put down fungacides before but i think it needs to be done. my site one rep recommende 2 apps of eagle granual. That's about a 60 dollar bag n covers 10k. Very expensive. I asked if others were doing fungacide on a regular and said yes they r spraying spectacle. I believe that was the product but I don't get why he said to use eagle when most others are using spectacle?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Yes nj, I never put down fungacides before but i think it needs to be done. my site one rep recommende 2 apps of eagle granual. That's about a 60 dollar bag n covers 10k. Very expensive. I asked if others were doing fungacide on a regular and said yes they r spraying spectacle. I believe that was the product but I don't get why he said to use eagle when most others are using spectacle?
Specticle? thats a preemergent. The best one, but it has no effect on fungus.

I alternate Myclo with propicanizole for dollar spot. Prop works better but you run the risk of the fungus becoming resistant so thats why I alternate.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Specticle? thats a preemergent. The best one, but it has no effect on fungus.

I alternate Myclo with propicanizole for dollar spot. Prop works better but you run the risk of the fungus becoming resistant so thats why I alternate.
That's funny, I looked it up and that's how I found out it was a pretty, wtf

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've never applied a fungus preventative for my customers but I have a few that can use it. They get a dollar spot. My question is what is the best product to control or stop this from starting?
I bought a granual bag of eagle last season but never used it. Any help would be great
Thank you
Dollar Spot is almost always just asthetic. Needing to use Fungicides on home lawns maintained at 3"-4" is a waste of time and lots of money, the problem is usually cultural and will likely keep coming back. Do you have a commercial pesticide applicators license to be doing this work?

Seems like an unnecessary headache

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dollar Spot is almost always just asthetic. Needing to use Fungicides on home lawns maintained at 3"-4" is a waste of time and lots of money, the problem is usually cultural and will likely keep coming back. Do you have a commercial pesticide applicators license to be doing this work?

Seems like an unnecessary headache
Of course I have a license and yes I know it's cultural, especially last year we had ridiculous amounts of rain and they still had that stupid sprinkler running,I actually would prefer not to run a sprinkler unless you see your lawn struggling then hit it with a deep watering

·
Registered
666 Posts
Check their watering practices, 9 times out of 10 times they are watering to many days a week , to early or to often. Irrigation and uneducated irrigation companies is your enemy with fungus. You’ll never win a fungus battle vs improper watering even with fungicides.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Check their watering practices, 9 times out of 10 times they are watering to many days a week , to early or to often. Irrigation and uneducated irrigation companies is your enemy with fungus. You’ll never win a fungus battle vs improper watering even with fungicides.
You are right, I know it's the watering and the water doesn't drain well either, I'm gonna try and convince them not to turn on the sprinkler unless the lawn really needs it, last year we had record rain fall, and they still had that thing come on every day

·
Registered
666 Posts
Everyday? Yea that’s a losing battle even with fungicides. Dollar spot will be back in a few weeks. I’m surprised they don’t have a ton of weeds/ crabgrass breakthrough to go with it. Sometimes your better off letting the lawn go rather than rack your brain if they won’t take your advice or unfortunately cancelling the account in the off season.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i havent really done anything in the past to try and contain it, so far i put down 1 application of eagle granualar, not sure if that will do anything and have to do it again at the end of this month.
Next thing im gonna do is ask him not to turn on the sprinkler system,

·
Registered
222 Posts
I found that making sure the lawn had adequate K in the soil went a long way to not having dollar spot issues.

I did a corrective app of 0-0-60 to several in April/May (based on soil test), and zero dollar spot that I saw afterwards. I never had any success with systemic fungicides to start the year, dollar spot showed up anyway. So now I make sure there is more K in the regular N feeding.
I agree 1,000% with this. I’ve reduced N while added more K this spring.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Be careful about reducing N. I find that spoon feeding through the summer when disease pressure is high helps my fescue grow through the infected spots

Reactions: Johnny79
1 - 20 of 23 Posts