Lawn Care Forum banner
61 - 80 of 174 Posts
Warning, warning, warning!! You sound like me when I first started plowing. If you're taking 18 to 20 hours to do your route with the type of storms we've had in the last couple years, you're wayyyyy overbooked in my opinion. If we get a blizzard, you are screwed. You will not be able to get to your accounts during the storm, so you'll be doing all of them with 18 inches or so of snow on them. It will take you 3 or 4 days, if your truck survives! You need to tighten and weed out that route and keep it under 10 hours for a normal storm...just an opinion from someone who's been there. If anything, that second truck should be a backup....
you are absolutely right, I just can't take myself to drop a customer. they all pay in a timely manner for the most part. And the order i do them is the order they need to be out by, so the ones that are retired get done last, and everyone gets done end of storm, unless there is a big storm and it snows hard for 6 hours and its still snowing at 6am and there's 6" of snow and they need to get out to go to work then i will do the driveway before it stops but if it keeps snowing i will do it again and charge them a full second price. not half but 100% of the price. Some are lawn customers and if I drop them for snow they may drop me for the spring/fall clean ups and lawn.

I was in a similar situation like I said in an earlier post. I'd be out running around like crazy, hammering on my truck, plowing when either myself or truck were no longer in any shape to do so. I plowed half my route with only rear brakes on my truck one storm, plowed for 36 hours straight on another...phone ringing with people wondering where I was and when I'd be there. My route now consists mostly of my residential lawn care customers and some of their neighbors and one factory lot, which is also a lawn care customer. And with them all being close I can start as soon as there's a couple of inches to make sure that they can all get in and out at all times...no more worrying about what time they go to work. I just do a quick pass and open them up and then come back for any additional accumulation and the detail work later. If we get a really big storm I just "camp out" at my factory lot so I don't have to be driving around in blizzard conditions.

With a route like yours it's only a matter of time before you get a storm that totally overwhelms you and leaves many of your customers trapped in their homes. In the mean time, I'd suggest that you always bring a helper with you to hop out and get the sidewalks and garage fronts, to help if you get stuck and to also make arrangements with some local guys you're friendly with to help out in a pinch. If you want I can PM you my phone number for emergency coverage of the Old Saybrook area...I think you said you had some lawn accounts down here....not sure if you also have plowing ones.

I currently do between 18 and 20 residential driveways and 1 commercial lot.

on average it takes me anywhere from 6-10 hours to go through my route. that's including drive time between properties and the road condition obviously affect the time as well.

yesterday I did a 2" storm in 6 hours. I don't see the point in loading your schedule to where your plowing for much more than 12 hours a storm. I know people like money but I personally am not gonna risk my health with lack of sleep for some green backs.

I take on enough snow removal to keep me busy for up to 12 hours at most.

Been plowing since 1994. When i was in my 20s i loved being out all night. This bigger I got the more stressful it got. trucks breaking, plows breaking, people not answering there phone when you call at 2am.

I wont be doing it much longer! I run 6 routes right now and its time to cut about half of them out. I might drop all the ones that I dont mow in summer.

This is the most stressful thing I have ever done in my life. Having to get everything done between 3am and 7am on overnight snowfalls. On the rare occasion we are late ( due to excessive snowfall) customers are calling wanting to know when we are coming and why we are not there yet!

Im done with it!!! Leave it for you young guns!

I was in a similar situation like I said in an earlier post. I'd be out running around like crazy, hammering on my truck, plowing when either myself or truck were no longer in any shape to do so. I plowed half my route with only rear brakes on my truck one storm, plowed for 36 hours straight on another...phone ringing with people wondering where I was and when I'd be there. My route now consists mostly of my residential lawn care customers and some of their neighbors and one factory lot, which is also a lawn care customer. And with them all being close I can start as soon as there's a couple of inches to make sure that they can all get in and out at all times...no more worrying about what time they go to work. I just do a quick pass and open them up and then come back for any additional accumulation and the detail work later. If we get a really big storm I just "camp out" at my factory lot so I don't have to be driving around in blizzard conditions.

With a route like yours it's only a matter of time before you get a storm that totally overwhelms you and leaves many of your customers trapped in their homes. In the mean time, I'd suggest that you always bring a helper with you to hop out and get the sidewalks and garage fronts, to help if you get stuck and to also make arrangements with some local guys you're friendly with to help out in a pinch. If you want I can PM you my phone number for emergency coverage of the Old Saybrook area...I think you said you had some lawn accounts down here....not sure if you also have plowing ones.
Negative on the old saybrook area, I'm down there 2-3 times a week in the summer at the pavilion and the beach, and I go to claudios in greenport,ny on the weekends but no accounts down there too far. I have arrangements with a buddy of mine, but he has a few lots he has to do by a certain time. but i used his truck when mine was down. I always bring a helper for the sidewalks and in front of the garage doors. I do need to drop customers or raise the price on the ones that aren't lawn customers or near lawn customers so that it will offset another truck, and get new accounts only near my current lawn customers my fuel bill for small storm is around 85 dollars, big storm like 12" is about 100.

My route can take 6- 11 hours. Saturday with 2 inches was 6 hours, today with 6-8 inches it was 8.5 hours. IMO, you should have a back up truck if you have a route like mine. Actually 2 of everything. I have 30 stops. 3 very small commercial, 26 drives and 9 sidewalks. I have a break down kit in the truck for the plow and snow blower for the simple break downs, but I have another truck and snow blower all ready to go if something major goes wrong. Don't normally need them, but this year needed the back up truck one time and the back up snow blower too. I keep the newest truck for the back up. Want to keep it out of the salt as much as possible. If I need the back up, I want to go get my best piece and know it should be better than what just had a failure. I also do METICULOUS maintenance on snow equipment.

i love doing snow but like everyone said if you dont have seasonal contrats then dont make squat if it doesnt snow.

i had my first 2 plowable snowfalls this week, didnt even bother taking the plow truck just used snow blowers the first time knocked all them out in about 5 hrs (all residential)

today went out used the plow truck plow motor craps out 30 min in so had to grab the blowers and other truck great to have a backup thats for sure!

i dont fully count on the money it is nice and a huge bonus if we get a lot but if not im more the less bored just waiting to landscape.

for all the people sick of plowing or the headaches why dont you just jump on with another company for 70 + dollars an hour ?

Negative on the old saybrook area, I'm down there 2-3 times a week in the summer at the pavilion and the beach, and I go to claudios in greenport,ny on the weekends but no accounts down there too far. I have arrangements with a buddy of mine, but he has a few lots he has to do by a certain time. but i used his truck when mine was down. I always bring a helper for the sidewalks and in front of the garage doors. I do need to drop customers or raise the price on the ones that aren't lawn customers or near lawn customers so that it will offset another truck, and get new accounts only near my current lawn customers my fuel bill for small storm is around 85 dollars, big storm like 12" is about 100.
85-100......

that's it?

that's only a tank of gas for my pickup. that wouldn't cover the snow blowers. I guess I don't consider a tank of gas per storm anything to loose sleep over.

I put 84 miles on the truck during the 10 inch storm we got this season but I'm never more than 5 miles from home on my plowing route...5 miles west, 5 miles north, 5 miles east (can't go south). I only get like 6 mpg when I'm plowing the bigger storms because I'm in 4wd a lot. Also the factory lot I do burns a lot of gas because most of the lot has to get winrowed and stacked in one corner so I'm in it deep and on the throttle hard and sometimes in 4WD low if it's a heavy push. At least my Silverado has a big fuel tank. The 20 gallon tank in my old truck was kind of a pain. I calculated horrible mileage in that truck and it took me a while to figure out why. When I do that factory lot it's forward, reverse, forward, reverse over and over. It had the old style odometer so any time I went backwards it took off the miles that I did going forward, thus my odometer under reported the actual miles, scewing my mileage downwards. Am I rambling yet? lol

I put 84 miles on the truck during the 10 inch storm we got this season but I'm never more than 5 miles from home on my plowing route...5 miles west, 5 miles north, 5 miles east (can't go south). I only get like 6 mpg when I'm plowing the bigger storms because I'm in 4wd a lot. Also the factory lot I do burns a lot of gas because most of the lot has to get winrowed and stacked in one corner so I'm in it deep and on the throttle hard and sometimes in 4WD low if it's a heavy push. At least my Silverado has a big fuel tank. The 20 gallon tank in my old truck was kind of a pain. I calculated horrible mileage in that truck and it took me a while to figure out why. When I do that factory lot it's forward, reverse, forward, reverse over and over. It had the old style odometer so any time I went backwards it took off the miles that I did going forward, thus my odometer under reported the actual miles, scewing my mileage downwards. Am I rambling yet? lol
I burn 1 gallon per hour of plowing. I leave the truck running from start to stop.

85-100......

that's it?

that's only a tank of gas for my pickup. that wouldn't cover the snow blowers. I guess I don't consider a tank of gas per storm anything to loose sleep over.
yup 85-100 that's it, I usually go through about 18-19 gallons per bigger storm like over 10" I don't consider a tank of gas per storm anything to lose sleep over either, I sleep very well, for 6-10 hours every night. my truck has two tanks and between the two of them I have put 40 gallons in total, but i really have to run them down far to fit that much in there, so in the winter i only fit 19 in the front tank and usually 16 in the smaller rear tank. I drive around in 2wd whenever possible. plus i never shut my truck off until i'm completely done with my route and at my house meaning it will idle for a few hours during my route. so that doesn't help my fuel economy but its fine how it is really.

On that 10 inch storm I rolled out at 6:45pm with 5 inches on the ground until 12:55am and parked it, then rolled back out around 8:45am and wrapped it up around 5:30pm = 15 hours, but some bsing and leisure time in there and stopped to refuel before heading home. A friend of mine was in from Santa Barbara so I helped her with digging out the cars at her parent's and chatted. I was probably there an hour and got some awesome brownies from her :) It takes a while to do my place and I do a few neighbors for free as well as a lawn customer who is active Navy and out on a submarine. I billed it all at 2x my normal rate, but according to my terms I could have billed at 2.5 times. About 2/3 of my route got 2 pushes and the tail end got 1. I dunno, probably 25 paid accounts and 5 or so freebies. As long as I'm at $150/hr or so I'm happy. I generally don't get out of my truck at all while it's still coming down, so my first leg was all driving. I could have brought a helper for the second leg but decided I had it under control solo. Both of my sons are trained for stick plow and snowblower duty.

Are these commercial, residential or both? For commercial I can see being able to do that, but residentials seem to be very resistant to a seasonal contract in my opinion. Please enlighten us if you can.
commercial. I do bid a few per push but I still am 90% seasonal. I would like to be around 75/25 so I can make money when it snows instead of losing money every storm but hey it works out.

I have got a few residential to do seasonal. Its a lot easier after a bad winter. With this winter and last you can kiss that goodbye.

The few I do get are multifamily houses, work crazy hours, or are full service.

Full service seems to be the easiest way to go. I even worked my contracts different ways since some wont pay for clean ups, others want stuff like gutter cleanings included. Then I charge them on a 10 monthly payments. This way if they want to cancel because theres no snow they already paid for it!

My route can take 6- 11 hours. Saturday with 2 inches was 6 hours, today with 6-8 inches it was 8.5 hours. IMO, you should have a back up truck if you have a route like mine. Actually 2 of everything. I have 30 stops. 3 very small commercial, 26 drives and 9 sidewalks. I have a break down kit in the truck for the plow and snow blower for the simple break downs, but I have another truck and snow blower all ready to go if something major goes wrong. Don't normally need them, but this year needed the back up truck one time and the back up snow blower too. I keep the newest truck for the back up. Want to keep it out of the salt as much as possible. If I need the back up, I want to go get my best piece and know it should be better than what just had a failure. I also do METICULOUS maintenance on snow equipment.
I'm like you I keep back ups of as much stuff as I can. personally I don't have a back up truck or plow but I have people who can help with that in a pinch. but I'm usually doing snow removal solo and I always load my truck with 2 snow blowers and 2 to 3 shovels. almost had to use the back up snow blower last night.

I burn 1 gallon per hour of plowing. I leave the truck running from start to stop.
yup 85-100 that's it, I usually go through about 18-19 gallons per bigger storm like over 10" I don't consider a tank of gas per storm anything to lose sleep over either, I sleep very well, for 6-10 hours every night. my truck has two tanks and between the two of them I have put 40 gallons in total, but i really have to run them down far to fit that much in there, so in the winter i only fit 19 in the front tank and usually 16 in the smaller rear tank. I drive around in 2wd whenever possible. plus i never shut my truck off until i'm completely done with my route and at my house meaning it will idle for a few hours during my route. so that doesn't help my fuel economy but its fine how it is really.
yep I leave my truck running from the time I leave the driveway until the time I come back home as well. unless I stop for gas in the middle of my route which isn't very often. I usually make sure I have the truck filled and everything else I need before the storm.

I started doing snow last year with a skid steer. I enjoy doing it. Gets to be long hours sometimes but I'm young haha

I ended up buying a pusher this fall, amazing how much faster it makes things go! For next year would like to get maybe 4-5 more accounts. Would also be nice to get my own dump truck for landscaping and snow but one thing at a time.

The way I look at it, if you have the equipment why wouldn't you do it?? But it's not something you should depend on for income. I see and hear about all kinds of people that are depending on snow and suffering because of that.

A recent run of the NAM weather model predicts 4 to 5 feet of snow in parts of the northeast this weekend, lol.
At the end of article that says "New England will be Buried this Weekend". It briefly talks about it will snow 2" a hour if two storms collide. Hmmmmm, that sounds like that perfect storm nonsense about Sandy.

If we get what they're forcasting you're gonna have a REALLY long weekend. I've got new snows going on the truck tomorrow and chains at the ready.

61 - 80 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.