Lawn Care Forum banner
81 - 100 of 174 Posts
Yup! I've been through this a number of times and it's a lot easier now that I have a V plow. They really shine for the big storms.

I've been contemplating getting new tires on my truck all winter and at this point don't really have a choice. The all-season tires that are on it are fine for everything but plowing heavy wet snow. I've got a set of Artic Claws going on it at noon. This will be the first time I've gone for dedicated snow tires. I'm tired of being in the situation of either replacing my all-terrains before they're worn out or slipping and sliding. The Artic Claws are made by Cooper and are what my tire dealer has on all of his vehicles...that's a good enough endorsement for me.

Discussion starter · #83 ·
Checking all Snow equipment today. Making sure all trucks and skid steers are fueled and leaving backup fuel containers with machines. It's going to be a long and stressful 2 days. Best of luck to everyone in the NE getting hit by this storm. We here are expected to get 24 inches with gusts close to 50 miles per hour.

just put this on craigslist

Do not call me Saturday expecting me to clear your driveway. It will take me about 12 hours to get to you, if not more. As a snow removal contractor I have responsibility to my customers who were smart enough to arrange for plowing in advance.

If you expect me to drop everything I'm doing, to go plow 18" out of your driveway, I will think you're a 12 year old prank calling.

You might not like what I'm saying. In that case you can call a hack to plow for beer money. He'll show up and plow your unmarked drive right into your garage. If he even has a truck.

Good Luck.

just put this on craigslist

Do not call me Saturday expecting me to clear your driveway. It will take me about 12 hours to get to you, if not more. As a snow removal contractor I have responsibility to my customers who were smart enough to arrange for plowing in advance.

If you expect me to drop everything I'm doing, to go plow 18" out of your driveway, I will think you're a 12 year old prank calling.

You might not like what I'm saying. In that case you can call a hack to plow for beer money. He'll show up and plow your unmarked drive right into your garage. If he even has a truck.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the reminder. I should probably edit the ad I have there or delete it entirely.

Thanks for the reminder. I should probably edit the ad I have there or delete it entirely.
i stopped advertising for snow in 2012, then i was given another 5 accounts, but they can all be done a day later so its fine. I'm actually calling all my customers today and tomorrow and telling them if there is 2 feet and they don't want to pay for me to show up twice it will be a 100 dollar charge, if they don't like it then they can try and find someone else. if they do end up paying for me to show up twice it will be over over 100 anyways. either way, no reason I shouldn't make 3000-4000 from a storm this size if i don't i'm cheating myself out of money. quite a few customers called already and said to come twice, once friday night then saturday morning but route takes so long not sure how well that plan will work....I am however buying another truck tonight. no rust f350 351w new manifolds, new front end parts, new steering box, new tires, newer plow no rust, clean interior and clean body no dents for 2500 so i may try and register that tomorrow and use it for this storm and sell it for double because it's worth close to 5,000 all day long.

i stopped advertising for snow in 2012, then i was given another 5 accounts, but they can all be done a day later so its fine. I'm actually calling all my customers today and tomorrow and telling them if there is 2 feet and they don't want to pay for me to show up twice it will be a 100 dollar charge, if they don't like it then they can try and find someone else. if they do end up paying for me to show up twice it will be over over 100 anyways. either way, no reason I shouldn't make 3000-4000 from a storm this size if i don't i'm cheating myself out of money. quite a few customers called already and said to come twice, once friday night then saturday morning but route takes so long not sure how well that plan will work....I am however buying another truck tonight. no rust f350 351w new manifolds, new front end parts, new steering box, new tires, newer plow no rust, clean interior and clean body no dents for 2500 so i may try and register that tomorrow and use it for this storm and sell it for double because it's worth close to 5,000 all day long.
you would only show up twice on 2 foot storm?

I've never had a 2 foot storm so I can't really speak from experience but I know I make 2 visits on a 6-8 inch storm. I would think 3 visits at least on a 2 footer.

I won't push more than 4 inches of snow at a time if I don't have to. now maybe I would have to with a 2 footer because maybe I couldn't make it around to clients like that. I don't know that's why I'm kind of asking. would have thought more than 2 visits.

I plow mainly customers i mow for though don't go after lots of additional accounts. I send two guys out with snowblowers to do my walks and at 6 o'clock they head of to residentials. Have another two on standby started doing this after the big storm we got here just before xmas. THey come in at 6 and finish up any walks that need done and then go relieve the guys do my residentials. Cant keep shovelers out for as many hours as we can sit in trucks it seems. But good luck to you guys this weekend be safe and stay smart throughout the weekend.

Plowing 2 feet a push is pretty tough, espeically with a straight blade plow. It's not so bad on a double-wide driveway...what I do is kind of swing and arc across the driveway so I'm plowing it to the side with just a little bit of the blade into the snow at a time. The real pain is out at the apron where it can be a struggle just to push the corners back and get into the driveway. I plan to plow with the storm but from the sounds of it there will be a point when travel just isn't possible/practical, so it's bound to pile up. With a V plow I can usually just pull in V mode. We had a pretty nasty blizzard in 2005 and that was definitely a learning experience.

I never want to plow again professionally but I do wish I had one for my own driveway or perhaps a 6ft snow blower attachment for a compact tractor. Guy that does my driveway now is nowhere near the detail I use to get and he does so much damage. With about 20,000 sq ft of drive perhaps someday I can talk myself into justifying the purchase. What sucks now is the high wind predictions for this storm I had to move the trucks to a spot where trees cant land on them but now they're more in the way then normal.

Glad we are not getting any of that Canadian concrete snow here! You guys be safe and don't break anything!

Plowing 2 feet a push is pretty tough, espeically with a straight blade plow. It's not so bad on a double-wide driveway...what I do is kind of swing and arc across the driveway so I'm plowing it to the side with just a little bit of the blade into the snow at a time. The real pain is out at the apron where it can be a struggle just to push the corners back and get into the driveway. I plan to plow with the storm but from the sounds of it there will be a point when travel just isn't possible/practical, so it's bound to pile up. With a V plow I can usually just pull in V mode. We had a pretty nasty blizzard in 2005 and that was definitely a learning experience.
with a second truck in the mix now, I plan to plow once at around 12" tonight, then again around 12" or the end of storm then again around 12" if we end up with 3ft. probably not gonna get 3ft but that's my plan. should work pretty well. if all goes well with the second truck which has new tires, and runs good, but its a gas f250....its been a plow truck its whole life, oil pan is good, radiator is good, transmission is good, it starts it stops and it plows without an issue.

with a second truck in the mix now, I plan to plow once at around 12" tonight, then again around 12" or the end of storm then again around 12" if we end up with 3ft. probably not gonna get 3ft but that's my plan. should work pretty well. if all goes well with the second truck which has new tires, and runs good, but its a gas f250....its been a plow truck its whole life, oil pan is good, radiator is good, transmission is good, it starts it stops and it plows without an issue.
How much did you guys get or has it hit yet? We actually had a blizzard here in early January but not that much snow. Like 8in but was a blizzard cause of the 40 mph winds, but has actually been warm here except for that...

Ill be out all day here plowing. When my son does the Resi acounts if they are calling for more than 16" he will go out and do it at the halfway point, or 8" of accumultion. I make him use a snowblower is its not easy to move 12" or more inches at once. Stay safe guys

81 - 100 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.