Lawn Care Forum banner
101 - 120 of 174 Posts
How much did you guys get or has it hit yet? We actually had a blizzard here in early January but not that much snow. Like 8in but was a blizzard cause of the 40 mph winds, but has actually been warm here except for that...
Right now we have 6" on the ground and its only been snowing since about 9am. Supposed to go till tommorow afternoon and they are predicting close to 30" at my location.... We are starting to get into the 5 inches and hour right now

Right now we have 6" on the ground and its only been snowing since about 9am. Supposed to go till tommorow afternoon and they are predicting close to 30" at my location.... We are starting to get into the 5 inches and hour right now
You guys snows would probably shut our city down for quit awhile... We never get stuff like that...

We are getting ready for 24+ inches. Just starting now and will be at its peak tonight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Snows around here i can usally just use my walkbehind snowblower, but there are some big guys around here when we do get hit that got the big stuff.. Like bobcats/plowtrucks... Is that what you use?

Snows around here i can usally just use my walkbehind snowblower, but there are some big guys around here when we do get hit that got the big stuff.. Like bobcats/plowtrucks... Is that what you use?
I have an 8ft plow on my truck and mostly plow residential driveways and small parking lots at doctors, dentists and vets offices. The guys that do large commercial have huge front end loaders and dump trucks like you would see at a gravel pit. Our state is set up to handle these storms so the roads stay clear. No shut downs here.
Posted via Mobile Device

they must do things differently in evansville from fort wayne.

you don't see anyone doing snow removal in fort wayne without a snow plow on there truck. we use the plows for anything from an inch and on up. the snow blowers are just used for sidewalks.

they must do things differently in evansville from fort wayne.

you don't see anyone doing snow removal in fort wayne without a snow plow on there truck. we use the plows for anything from an inch and on up. the snow blowers are just used for sidewalks.
Same as everyone else.. i'm not gonna set up a truck and everything for the snows we get. I just use my walkbehind blower and do residential snow removal and can actually do small bank lots with it also.. But there are lots of guys here that have trucks/bobcats...

I have my hair full of snow and its melting down my face and I don't think I could be any more pissed off today than I am at this moment! We have about 5 or 6 inches here atm now last year I let an employee with his friend plow my driveway to make some extra cash. So this yearcomes and this is the second plow event and the first was a disaster. Their f250 didn't have working 4wd back in Dec and aside from all the damage to my gravel driveway they barely got out they took like 4 running starts to reach the road. My house sits 500 feet from the road and 50 feet below it if that ant enough for ya my lower 1.6 acres sit another 30 feet below that.

So I saw that and spoke up about it an said you got to have 4wd to do this and they seemed brush it off. So 3 weeks ago we had a near miss and I asked and they said no and I said its not much anyway so no need. So 2 days ago I texted him and said do you have 4wd and was told its being worked on as we speak. I felt they put that off way to long but wanted this to work out for the guy so I accepted his word. Any ways about 2.5 hours ago they woke me from a nice winter nap and I looked out and saw that truck. And no sooner did I look than it became obvious they had no 4wd and they were already stuck on a slight incline and could not back up and all they were doing was sliding towards my house and new truck.

So I go out side and they decide for show they would now turn those 4wd locks they have on some trucks. All my rams its done in the cab but to each his own. So they turn them and guess what they still got nothing and I got to watch a comical series of events as they would yell at each other to help dig them out despite the fact they were not even stuck in snow just sitting on the stuff they packed. Out came the snow blower which is less then useless on gravel but that didn't stop them from trying. When they would use the shovel they wouldn't carry it out of the way they would just make mounds and future problems.

As it became clear they were never gona back up to turn I got in my 4500 with the 4wd and drove into virgin snow while pulling them up hill side ways from the hitch. So they got it free and than began 30 mins frightening attempts to do 5 mins worth of work with the truck now stalling every 30-60 seconds. At one point it sounded as if it was never to start again. So all the while its snowing and of course they did a poor job with the first push down hill so nothing is really done. And then comes the fun part they can not get out. so they try run number 1 they do not even make it to the middle hill which isn't that high so they fell short of the 2nd telephone pole and I 4 complete wire lengths with 3 polls on the drive and the 4th at the road.

So after their 4 or 5th failure I break down and call a guy on Craigs list figuring I might stop them before they lose the truck on one of their never ending long back ups down the drive. But then came the hillbilly ingenuity and one of them stood on the bumper and jumped up and down as the other floored it. Each jump they would gain 2 inches of ground and some how managed to claw their way out and then said well when the other guy gets it fixed we can come back latter. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: How about NOOOOOOO so the new guys are here now just a family that wants to make extra cash I got dad driving mom keeping him company and the son out side spotting hazards. I'm frustrated enough to want to buy a plow truck again.

I have my hair full of snow and its melting down my face and I don't think I could be any more pissed off today than I am at this moment! We have about 5 or 6 inches here atm now last year I let an employee with his friend plow my driveway to make some extra cash. So this yearcomes and this is the second plow event and the first was a disaster. Their f250 didn't have working 4wd back in Dec and aside from all the damage to my gravel driveway they barely got out they took like 4 running starts to reach the road. My house sits 500 feet from the road and 50 feet below it if that ant enough for ya my lower 1.6 acres sit another 30 feet below that.

So I saw that and spoke up about it an said you got to have 4wd to do this and they seemed brush it off. So 3 weeks ago we had a near miss and I asked and they said no and I said its not much anyway so no need. So 2 days ago I texted him and said do you have 4wd and was told its being worked on as we speak. I felt they put that off way to long but wanted this to work out for the guy so I accepted his word. Any ways about 2.5 hours ago they woke me from a nice winter nap and I looked out and saw that truck. And no sooner did I look than it became obvious they had no 4wd and they were already stuck on a slight incline and could not back up and all they were doing was sliding towards my house and new truck.

So I go out side and they decide for show they would now turn those 4wd locks they have on some trucks. All my rams its done in the cab but to each his own. So they turn them and guess what they still got nothing and I got to watch a comical series of events as they would yell at each other to help dig them out despite the fact they were not even stuck in snow just sitting on the stuff they packed. Out came the snow blower which is less then useless on gravel but that didn't stop them from trying. When they would use the shovel they wouldn't carry it out of the way they would just make mounds and future problems.

As it became clear they were never gona back up to turn I got in my 4500 with the 4wd and drove into virgin snow while pulling them up hill side ways from the hitch. So they got it free and than began 30 mins frightening attempts to do 5 mins worth of work with the truck now stalling every 30-60 seconds. At one point it sounded as if it was never to start again. So all the while its snowing and of course they did a poor job with the first push down hill so nothing is really done. And then comes the fun part they can not get out. so they try run number 1 they do not even make it to the middle hill which isn't that high so they fell short of the 2nd telephone pole and I 4 complete wire lengths with 3 polls on the drive and the 4th at the road.

So after their 4 or 5th failure I break down and call a guy on Craigs list figuring I might stop them before they lose the truck on one of their never ending long back ups down the drive. But then came the hillbilly ingenuity and one of them stood on the bumper and jumped up and down as the other floored it. Each jump they would gain 2 inches of ground and some how managed to claw their way out and then said well when the other guy gets it fixed we can come back latter. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: How about NOOOOOOO so the new guys are here now just a family that wants to make extra cash I got dad driving mom keeping him company and the son out side spotting hazards. I'm frustrated enough to want to buy a plow truck again.
So kelly you don't own a snowplow anymore.

Same as everyone else.. i'm not gonna set up a truck and everything for the snows we get. I just use my walkbehind blower and do residential snow removal and can actually do small bank lots with it also.. But there are lots of guys here that have trucks/bobcats...
my point exactly about evansville doing it differently than fort wayne.

everyone in fort wayne uses a truck with a snow plow, even for residential driveways. I currently have 18 residential driveways and one small commercial lot. I use an 8' straight blade. use the snow blower for any sidewalks I come across but that's the only time it gets out of the truck.

it's a funny story. not sure why your getting so upset about it.

Not sure about the depth here but my deck has snow on it around 3ft. But thats drifts but its still coming down now as it has been the last 19 hours my guess we break 2 feet when all is said and done.

As for why I was upset it was increasingly looking like they would be spending the night living here and it was to upsetting to contemplate.

Well I'm going to be snowed in for days if not the week we got way more than we were suppose to here. The weather channel reported Milford had the highest snow totals for the state at 38 inches and I would say thats about right. So now I need to wait till the clean up finishes up and see if I can find someone with a loader or skid steer to dig me out. Even with all I did in the storm we still got about 2 feet on the ground and thats nearly impossible for most guys to plow.

Well I'm going to be snowed in for days if not the week we got way more than we were suppose to here. The weather channel reported Milford had the highest snow totals for the state at 38 inches and I would say thats about right. So now I need to wait till the clean up finishes up and see if I can find someone with a loader or skid steer to dig me out. Even with all I did in the storm we still got about 2 feet on the ground and thats nearly impossible for most guys to plow.
Isn't that why people want V plows in stead of straight ones? Aren't they better in deep snow?

Isn't that why people want V plows in stead of straight ones? Aren't they better in deep snow?
wanting and having are 2 different things though. seems like he must not know very many guys who have v blades.

but I can't really say much about that many inches cause the most I ever see in the winter is 6-8. usually we get little amounts like 2-4.

101 - 120 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.