• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Do you price small, med., n large lawns different for fertilizing?

Derek's Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
I was wondering if you charge a set price for example $30 plus how much product it costs per 1,000 sq ft or if you charge more for bigger lawns? like a price for 0-5k, $5 more for 5k-10k, $5 more for 10k-15k, etc. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

DLC

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Derek. You will want to price as to what your cost of doing business allows AND similar to the going rate in your area. Typically large lawns will get a little bit of a volume break, esp commercial stuff. Ex: 5k sq ft typical residential lawn is $40 here - but to price 30k sq ft at $240/app (same multiplier) would be asinine and you would not get the bid.
What are 'bigger lawns' in your eyes? If you don't get much beyond 12-15k sq ft lawns, then I wouldn't worry too much about volume discounting.

OP
D

Derek's Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
That helps Alot, thanks. Anything over 15k is pretty big around here, I just wasn't sure if I should charge more or less depending on the lawn size and about how long it will take me. I didn't kno if charging a little less per app for smaller lawns would be a good idea or not. Thanks for the reply
Posted via Mobile Device

Greenery

LawnSite Senior Member
Derek. You will want to price as to what your cost of doing business allows AND similar to the going rate in your area. Typically large lawns will get a little bit of a volume break, esp commercial stuff. Ex: 5k sq ft typical residential lawn is $40 here - but to price 30k sq ft at $240/app (same multiplier) would be asinine and you would not get the bid.
What are 'bigger lawns' in your eyes? If you don't get much beyond 12-15k sq ft lawns, then I wouldn't worry too much about volume discounting.
Not trying to give you a hard time but i get at least 50 for a 5k lawn and i also have a 36k commercial priced at 240 per app. As i seen on another thread "we are trying to make money arent we". I suppose it could be different in rochester though. The last company i worked for had slightly higher prices than me and he had close to 4000 customers so it cant e asinine
Posted via Mobile Device

Greenery

LawnSite Senior Member
That helps Alot, thanks. Anything over 15k is pretty big around here, I just wasn't sure if I should charge more or less depending on the lawn size and about how long it will take me. I didn't kno if charging a little less per app for smaller lawns would be a good idea or not. Thanks for the reply
Posted via Mobile Device
After you determine your costs it should give you a good baseline to go off. Then determine how much you feel you should profit. I would charge more for smaller props. The service your selling shouldnt be all about price you need to sell the value of your service.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
D

Derek's Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
After you determine your costs it should give you a good baseline to go off. Then determine how much you feel you should profit. I would charge more for smaller props. The service your selling shouldnt be all about price you need to sell the value of your service.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ok thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Not trying to give you a hard time but i get at least 50 for a 5k lawn and i also have a 36k commercial priced at 240 per app. As i seen on another thread "we are trying to make money arent we". I suppose it could be different in rochester though. The last company i worked for had slightly higher prices than me and he had close to 4000 customers so it cant e asinine
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you in the Twin Cities vicinity? If so, that explains everything.
For example, I priced a 14K resi lawn at $100/app (cheap according to your pricing) and the homeowners thought I was, quote "WAY too high".

So OP, that explains why you want to compare your pricing to some of the more reputable operations in your area. Regardless of the pricing structure you come up with based on your costs, if you are too expensive, you won't get customers.

tlg

LawnSite Senior Member
I was wondering if you charge a set price for example $30 plus how much product it costs per 1,000 sq ft or if you charge more for bigger lawns? like a price for 0-5k, $5 more for 5k-10k, $5 more for 10k-15k, etc. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

DLC
Have you done your homework??? You need to know all your cost for each application you will do. Meaning you will need to know your cost per 1000 k for every product you Will use. You also need to figure your overhead somewhere in your cost. Most companies start with a base rate for the first 5k and then x dollars per 1000 sq ft after that. Keep in mind the real money is in smaller jobs and more production. Try to keep your pricing easy to do. Be sure to figure in a decent profit margin most of all. Bigger lawns ( anything over an acre) take more time and product. Price them off your price chart and mark them up if for level of difficulty if needed. Don't fall into the trap of discounting big jobs. Your cost is your cost and your price is your price. Why would you work for less????:nono:

OP
D

Derek's Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
Thanks for all the replies, I knew all of my costs but just wasn't sure on if you guys charged more for bigger lawns like mowing or just had a set price plus the product n everything per sq ft, thanks again!

DLC
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnlandscape

LawnSite Senior Member
Derek, I charge $150 for fertilization of all my property's per application. 1k-100k :) For some reason I dont get any smaller lawns, and because I have so many larger lawns... im losing money... the averaging thing must not work :)