1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

do you sharpen edger blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Clint, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

I have sharpened them before like when I had to edge a sidewalk grown over by blue rug junipers , this worked well as long as I didnt get deep in the dirt.

2. Eastview Landscaping

Eastview Landscaping LawnSite Member

No way to sharpening, buy in bulk and replace as needed....also sounds like u are trying to make too much work for yourself...

3. goose

goose LawnSite Member

I agree with Homer , I use a lot of blades because I have a lot of edgers going each day but for a blade to last a week per edger ,no way!!!! My guys change at least once a day per edger maybe more.

4. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

When I first got a stick edger I kinda wondered this too. Went and did a few props with it and low and behold it sharpened itself:p One less thing I gotta do!

5. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Sharpen?? 2 Blades?? a better question: How far down to the stubly nub can you grind this metal before you have to take that precious moment to undo it , red hot & "wing" it somewhere into the trailer forever. As far as the..uh.."whipper", i wouldnt recommend it slicing Bermuda sod in a manicured subdivision where you may quickly gain (or lose) multiple customers, but its the only way to go for more open areas.

Buy a few hundred, save the receipt and look up at the $2- 3000 aeration days thundering toward you.......