1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you sharpen new blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Wink'sLawnManag., Jun 6, 2020.

?

Do you??

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. No

35 vote(s)
    76.1%
  1. Wink'sLawnManag.

Wink'sLawnManag. LawnSite Member

Just got the new bad boys and am curious if you guys sharpen new blades.? On my last set I lightly hit them with some 120 sanding disc on portable grinder and worked pretty good. Just want the experts opinion. Thanks for all you guys do. Stay safe!!!

IMG_20200525_184341987.jpg

Crazy 4 grass likes this.
  2. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

I like to not mess with them run em for a week then see if I can sharpen them as good as new. :cool2:

3. Green Industry Pro

Green Industry Pro LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Tyler Texas

Same here. One thing to note is, the goal isn't to make the blades razor sharp. A razor sharp edge will dull more quickly. The main point to sharpening a blade is to maintain its original angle as best as you can. Hints why when its factory new, it isn't razor sharp.

4. Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Senior Member

I just run em for maybe a week er 2 then sharpen

5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

IFF out of balance, I'll sharpen the heavy side.

6. Derwood

Derwood LawnSite Bronze Member

OEM's no, I do not sharpen them when they're new - they are already pretty sharp.

Oregon one's I do sharpen.

The angle on my sharpener is 30 degrees and a little different than what they are from the manu. So the first time I sharpen them, it takes a little longer to grind them to 30. After that, it's usually just a few swipes and good as new. I sharpen mine until they're about as sharp as the OEM's when they're new.

7. ARN Greencare

ARN Greencare LawnSite Senior Member

New blades? Yes. New mower? No. Most new blades are out of balance, so I will touch them up and balance them and then only check the balance after several sharpenings or if I have to grind a notch out.

Wink'sLawnManag. and JayinKs like this.
  8. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

no

seriously who cares if they out of balance. Big Balance Corporation hype.

Wink'sLawnManag. likes this.
  9. ARN Greencare

ARN Greencare LawnSite Senior Member

When you use use a walk behind it's no big deal. But when you sit on a ZTR for hours straight, the smoother operation is much appreciated...

Nredo, Crazy 4 grass, Cam15 and 2 others like this.
  10. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

I've yet to see a single oregan blade come to my door out of balance. If they do I'd like complain to the manufacturer. I also used to think that razor sharp wasn't good, and would keep a bit on the edge so I don't damage them. However, over the years I've noticed that razor sharp leaves the best cut. I am the only person running my equipment so I take care not to hit things that will trash my blades. I don't mind a few nicks here and there to work out if I need too. Razor sharp blades can cut grass a lot better, but they dull after only a few larger lawns anyway.

Cam15 and Wink'sLawnManag. like this.