Do you spray idler/ pulleys on deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by williams lcm, Aug 21, 2017.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I know mine are basically sealed but I do spray with oil every once in awhile. Do I need to do this or will they last a long time without doing it ?I just don't want a pulley to seize

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

For which machine? For JD, don't put anything on them. Ever.

3. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

Ferris 3200z. I have sprayed my jd z950 idler pulley and so far no problem.

4. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

There won't be a problem other than getting it on your belt on the JD. That's why I said it is best to never do it. It isn't needed on them either as they are totally sealed bearings in the idlers.

13Razorbackfan likes this.
  5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i sprayed some wd-40 on my scag ones. i think they are just metal bushings not bearings. i could be wrong though.

6. Skeeterman

Skeeterman LawnSite Member

I put wd-40 or transmission fluid on mine, those sealed bearings do ok when new but after several hrs the dust causes the seal to wear and allow debris in.

Keith Gandy likes this.
  7. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I've never had that problem (seals drying out and letting stuff in) in 20 years of running JD equipment. I have had the sealed bearings go bad from lots of use, but never the seals.

I like and use WD-40, but I wouldn't use it for that as it not only collect dust/dirt which will wear the seals quicker, it turns to a hard varnish like substance and will not do the seals any good in that regard either. JD Superlube is far superior for that kind of application.

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i only did it after i was mowing in the rain to get the water out of there.

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

But that was on your Scag though wasn't it? Are there idlers the same as the ones on your JD? Plus, as long as your seals are good, there shouldn't be any water getting in anywhere. If it is/does, that can be a big problem.

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

water can and will get anywhere. seals won't stop it. the only thing that stops it is the grease inside the bearings. a seal isn't waterproof....at least i don't think it is.

i've never touched the ones on my deere and i'll prob never touch the ones on my scag again. i just did it once because i thought they were getting noisy. it turns out it was my spindle bearings that were noisey. :laugh: