Lawn Care Forum banner

Do you use 21" propelled or not?

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Exact Rototilling 
#1 ·
I just wondering if peeps run propelled or not 21" mowers?

I use a 21" propelled Toro mower 3 speed, i find pro's and con's to it

I have one residential where its 40 degrees hills i feel saver using the 21"propelled with it

But propelled seem to have a down side, each time you want to back up its always a pain changing gear to neutral position

My toro broke down last week so i had to rent one,i rented a lawnboy 10640 series,I was happy to try out a lawnboy,always fun to try out different company's ,

It run ok first day next day went to start it didn't start ,brought it back to the rental place the mecanic said well there seems to be a problem with the coil,so they gave me this piece of **** mtd mower.Well my first experience of lawnboy mowers are not good:nono:

#2 ·
Only self-propelled 21" hand mowers for me. I would never think of taking a push mower, even if somebody gave me one. I have too many hills, and am too old to push any mower.

There is no reason to shift the transmission to neutral for pulling it backwards. Something is wrong with the machine.

#4 ·
I 2 21" mowers. 1 Honda self-propelled, and one Craftsman non self-propelled. The only time I use the Craftsman is if it's a really tight area and I know I'll be backing up a lot, or if something is wrong with the Honda (which hasn't happened yet). Otherwise, it's self-propelled all the way for this peep.

#8 ·
Do you still have the blade brake on yours?

Just curious because some guys will take the blade brake off and then rig up an ignition kill switch.
I took mine off. PM me if you want a picture of that stupid thing removed...what a PITA. I ended up riveting a bracket to the existing switch...my foot now turns the mower off...works great. I have to admit they made it difficult to rig up, I hated the blade break because it made it difficult to start due to the resistance and it sucked for emptying the bag.
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
I took mine off. PM me if you want a picture of that stupid thing removed...what a PITA. I ended up riveting a bracket to the existing switch...my foot now turns the mower off...works great. I have to admit they made it difficult to rig up, I hated the blade break because it made it difficult to start due to the resistance and it sucked for emptying the bag.
Posted via Mobile Device
What you do is run a wire into the same connector that's plugged into the ignition coil, and then you run that same wire to a switch fastened to the mower handle. Then you run a short length of wire from the other pole on the switch to a ground on the handle.

#13 ·
I use a Deere JA65 and JX75 for the yards that are too small for my JD 108....I prefer the 75 over the 65 as it seems to handle taller grass easier. Both are 5 speed self propelled and have the BBC on them as well ( I won't take it off as my kids use them too) Im hoping to move up to a 36" WB next year
Posted via Mobile Device

#14 ·
Self-propelled for me only. They are more productive than the push mowers. With the toro self-propelled unit, just pull it back. There should be no need to change gears.
I have an older toro GTs model,i could release the lever to stop the wheels from spinning but if i let it go to far it turns off the blade

#15 ·
I rarely use a any pushmowers, except for Springtime I do not even have one on my trailer. I just sold my Honda and Craftsman pushmowers to free up room in my shed. Next year I am looking to buy the lightest non selfpropelled 20" mower I can find. The brand will not matter, as it will be used so infrequently.

#16 ·
Toro personal pace21" $550+ version not the home depot steel deck version. Also have a aierns hi vacation bagger 21. I onlyuse them on steep grassy swells or hard to get at areas. Quick 36 rest of the time for me. I'd love to retire both 21's but until I Can find another magical mower for swells I'm stuckwith them...:waving:
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.