Lawn Care Forum banner

Do you use a leatherman?

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  BlackCloudDiesel 
#1 ·
I'm gonna buy a leatherman or similar brand multi-tool. You guys have any specific model recommendations?

Thanks! ;)

#2 ·
leatherman surge- won't leave home without it. It is a little heavy on the belt but worth it

#4 ·
Gerber Multi-tool. Worked retail (home furnishings and appliances) for the last 12 years, it was on my belt every day, and for 6 of my 10 years in the Army before that.

Get the one you feel best with. I like the sound of the Gerber when it slides open, and the jaws open wide enough to get around washer hoses. Definitely the tool that fit my needs.

#8 ·
I like my gerber that slides open with a flick of the wrist, because I can conveniently open it one handed when I need it.
I was working on a customer's computer in the field (in da hood!) once, that slide sound had them all jumping over the bed, thinking I had just charged my pistol.

#9 ·
I like my gerber that slides open with a flick of the wrist, because I can conveniently open it one handed when I need it.
Leatherman works one handed (kinda like a butterfly knife) once it "breaks in" a bit.

Forgot to mention in my previous post that I broke mine once. Sent it in, no receipt, no questions asked. They sent me a new one (mine was several years old). I paid shipping to them, they shipped the replacement. The new one is an upgraded model. And yes, I was abusing the he11 out of it when it broke. (Don't pry sideways with the pliers).

#10 ·
Leatherman works one handed (kinda like a butterfly knife) once it "breaks in" a bit.

Forgot to mention in my previous post that I broke mine once. Sent it in, no receipt, no questions asked. They sent me a new one (mine was several years old). I paid shipping to them, they shipped the replacement. The new one is an upgraded model. And yes, I was abusing the he11 out of it when it broke. (Don't pry sideways with the pliers).
I have a leatherman brand tool but only used it a few times, perhaps that's why it is hard to open lol

#12 ·
I have a leatherman brand tool but only used it a few times, perhaps that's why it is hard to open lol
Yeah, they're always way tight and rough out of the box.
Here's the secret. Whenever I get a new one, I'll put on a 1/2 hour TV show, and sit down with the Leatherman in my hands, and open and close it all the way, up and back until your forearms are sore. Usually 1/2 an hour is sufficient.

I'll then wash it out with soap and water to get the metal dust out of the joint, blow it out with compressed air, and lubricate it with a dry teflon chain lube (White Lightning is the best knife lube I've found so far). It will be smooth as glass after that.

#13 ·
Leatherman Wave I have had at my side for 10 years. Never leave home without it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.