1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Do you want to make INSANE amounts of cash this winter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Barkleymut, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Since the national news is no longer covering our area I'm sure no one will believe me. Richmond Virginia was damaged so severely during the recent hurricane that I have talked to several professional arborists from Georgia and Texas who have already rented a house for the next 6 months because of the amount of work here. Most trees are a total loss, the problem was that we have had such a wet year and then 60-70 mph winds just ripped the entire root ball away. So, if you have real experience dealing with this, there is an absolute gold mine waiting for you here. I am sure that there are over a quarter million large trees that need to be cut down. I know that sounds like a large # but some of the neighborhoods look just like a jungle. Our power company has replaced over 6000 telephone poles. Think about that 6000. This city has over 1 million people living here and everyone knows someone who has lost a car or home to a tree. So pack up the tractor and a few saws and come on down.

This is the road leading to my storage unit :dizzy: Over 50 large oaks in the way.

su trees.jpg

2. Barkleymut

this was the problem, this rootball is 6 ft tall. Other than a tractor or stump grinder how do I get this out or push it back down??

rootballs.jpg

3. Barkleymut

Some neighborhoods still don't have power, wonder why?

VA power still doesn't even have a time frame for getting the power back on. I ONLY lost mine for 7 days and 6 nights, not too easy when you have a 3 year old and a 10 month old. My poor wife

salisbury tree.jpg

4. Barkleymut

1 more

sbury 2.jpg

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Barkley...is there a lot of widespread damage to homes and businesses?? We dont get a sense of things from the news here

6. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Andy,
    Sorry to hear you all were so hard hit. I only lost power for a day, and most of the clean up is already finished here.

That looks like a lot of work.

Hope you and your family made it through all right.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I am glad that I don't live by any hurricane weather possibilities

8. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

but we do live by ice storm possibilities,and those can be quite devastating...

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is true, I love to deal with black ice

10. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Barkley,
    Do you have work lined up? Are u hiring? We are idle in winter