1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Do you wash your Spreader/ Sprayers off Everyday?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Lar6493, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Lar6493

Lar6493 LawnSite Member

I have been hearing some differing opinions on the subject. I'm usually in the camp of washing (or at least spraying off) my equipment at the end of EVERY DAY. I'm hearing that this may not be the best way. The reason being that the water will activate the fertilizer and thus spread it into nooks and crannies causing corrosion. Guys are saying only to give a good wash once a week. Whats your thoughts?

2. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

Use a blower for daily cleaning.

If there is material left in my tank at the end of the day I transfer it to a spare at the shop and flush with water. After the issues I had this year I'm more concerned with chemicals that settle out overnight forming deposits than anything else.

hort101 likes this.
  3. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

I do a coating of fluid film to all the "nooks and crannies" and then wash off as needed.

Lar6493 likes this.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Good question. If you are talking about a spreader--stainless construction is best.
    Washed or not the ordinary steel and powder-coated steel will fail after a year or two. Cover the steel tubing with black electrical tape in the narrow zone where the fertilizer comes off the impeller and hits the steel tubing frame. I am always also concerned that the spray of water will push fertilizer through holes into the internal parts of the steel tubing-- which are unpainted. Water may remain for weeks. Can rust from inside out.
    Worse yet--a wet spreader put away--may remain wet all night under humid conditions. If your garage is heated, that will help slightly in spring and fall.
    Your sprayer and other equipment--not sure it helps, but I prime and paint it very thoroughly every winter. Top quality paint. Do what you can to drain away any water.

hort101 and Lar6493 like this.
  5. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Wash it off every day if its warm out the urea melts any way

6. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

90% of the time I blow it off after every job. I say 90% because there are some lawns that I don’t need to blow off any granular material. No hard surfaces.

I wash after each service and calibrate for the next application. I will rinse more frequently if the machine gets dusty/dirty from material or lawn conditions. I blow dry and run the machine for about 5-10 minutes also just to be sure it is as dry as possible.

Remember this saying...you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression. Image is everything. You keep your truck/trailer looking good ? Clean shirt/uniform ? Why not keep your equipment as clean a possible?

hort101 likes this.
  7. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

I'll add another thing.... when blowing off the spreader I'll do it two ways.... Use a backpack to dry it off mostly, same as a car wash. Then, use an air compressor with an extended blow gun nozzle to blow into the smaller "nooks" that a backpack won't get to. And as mentioned above... Always use stainless. I've got a couple lesco stainless spreaders that are going on 10 years old and still look like new.

hort101 likes this.
  8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I wax mine daily. Soybean based is best

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Keep in mind that the better power spreaders are mostly stainless steel--however--the motor may have a lot of mild steel in it--for instance the shroud. Thin steel--inside barely painted. Probably best to paint it every winter, especially the inside.

Worse yet--the transmission is often aluminum on the outside. Rather susceptible to corrosion due to fertilizer and moisture.

10. Lar6493

Lar6493 LawnSite Member

Do you have any recommendation on paint? I'm just thinking high temp rustoleum.