Do you wash your Spreader/ Sprayers off Everyday?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Lar6493, Nov 21, 2018.

1. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

Aluminum oxide is different then rust, it won't flake off and actually protects the metal under it from further corrosion.

I had the pleasure of being able to identify all the non stainless pieces on my exmark when the dealer left it outside for a month. :realmad:

The cables and small fittings on the hardware and controls aren't stainless, caused my choke and fert pattern control to stick. Took a few days of spraying pen oil to get them smooth again.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Fertilizer will eat through your aluminum transmission case in about 3 years. If not cleaned, fertilizer particles lodge in the crevices between the cooling fins. Not sure if paint will help this problem.
    For my sprayer and reel, I was not satisfied with Rust-Oleum, I thought it dried too slowly. I sanded, applied rust reformer, anti-rust primer, and then anti-rust outdoor implement paint. Usually Ace hardware brand. Try to find a premium brand.
    At times, I also applied black spray-on rubberized auto undercoating for certain areas.
    Of course, at times the temperatures were rather low--it was winter down time, right?

That Guy Gary likes this.
  3. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

Sherwin Williams has some good metal enamels for outdoor equipment and you can get a catalyst for a lot of the solvent based ones. This will speed up the drying and make the finish even harder.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know where it is legal to wash off a sprayer?

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  5. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

On a spill pad ;)

tobylou8 likes this.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

So every builds a lined pit:rolleyes:

tobylou8 likes this.