Do you wire landscape lighting or call an electrician

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by B16bri, Jan 20, 2014.

  1. RLI Electric

    RLI Electric LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 381

    B16, In CT you must have either an electrical contractor license (E1)or an L5 license to do landscape lighting.
    Here is a link and hopefully it attaches.
    Feel free to pm or call me if you like.
    If you are looking for someone to help with the lighting on your projects and if that is not an area you work with, let me know. Small state and we can go anywhere.
  2. B16bri

    B16bri LawnSite Member
    Messages: 101

    Well I understand you need those licenses and believe it or not I actually hold a valid electrical E-2 license but I'm trying to start a landscaping company and am just trying to figure out what other contractors do if a customer confronts them wanting landscape lighting job do you guys employ someone with a e1 or l5 license do you guys hire an electrical contractor ? I'm sure I can get an E-1 license for my self but when I start my landscaping company and get general liability insurance for it I'm sure they won't cover me god forbid there's an electrical issue
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. RLI Electric

    RLI Electric LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 381

    I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you talking if you own a landscape company would you be able to do the work? Legally in CT, an E2 doesn't allow you to do it. The reality is that a lot of landscape companies do their own lighting. Some good, most bad but then again, most electricians are horrible at low voltage lighting. Get your E1, put it under the landscaping business and insure yourself properly. All it takes is something to go wrong as you know can happen with bad lamps, switches, breakers, fuses, wire, etc etc etc... If you are not covered, you're in deep trouble and it may have never even been your fault.

Share This Page