Do you...?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Advance_lawn_care, Dec 20, 2018.

?

Do you blow leaves of roof and gutters during leaf clean ups?

1. Yes both

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. No both

14 vote(s)
    82.4%
  3. Roof only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care LawnSite Member

Do you blow leaves off of customers roofs and out of gutters during leaf removal jobs or do you leave that to gutter companies? Just wondering. If I find its not expected to be included I would rather play not my monkey not my circus and let a contract that primarily works on roofs handle it.

My reasons are the probability of causing damage on older roofs, falls, and additional insurance cost and risk. The risk reward for me is concerning. I only see it being worth doing if it begins to cost me leaf removal jobs.

So, do you do it as part of your leaf removal, thoughts, opinion?

2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

I have done some roofs and gutters in the past, but only 1 or 2 per year and then only on one story homes without a steep roof pitch.

There are a few local companies who do gutters. They run around on 3 story roofs with blowers like they are squirrels. If I were to try that I'd likely slip and end up on the ground.

Walker56, wjjones and hort101 like this.
  3. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Platinum Member

I need to find that pic i have of the house that is near me with all the crap (leaves and such) in the valley of the roof.. and in one of the valleys, there is a tree growing on it.. yes.. a tree..

hort101 and sjessen like this.
  4. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Chicago

No roof or gutter cleaning included. I leave roof and gutters work to others. I usually refer a local handyman for the smaller stuff. Big stuff they get a roofers number.

hort101 likes this.
  5. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

Gutter cleaning is definitely a different service.

Single stories can be blown out from the ground with a backpack blower and a curved attachment, they sell them premade or you can get creative with pvc pipe and make your own.

It can be good money, charge $1/ft for single stories and $2-4/ft for higher. Or just stick with single stories and stay on the ground.

6. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Platinum Member

Ditto! That one's a non-starter for me.
    Up on ladders and roofs? Too much potential for injury liability!

sjessen likes this.
  7. wjjones

wjjones LawnSite Senior Member

2nd that. I use to but Im scared of that whole gravity thing, and the sudden stop at the bottom.:eek:

sjessen likes this.
  8. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Platinum Member

It is the sudden stop that will get ya.. no doubt about it..

wjjones and sjessen like this.
  9. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Platinum Member

On my own time at my own house, OF COURSE!
    I'll get up there on the roof with a blower to blow all the twigs and leaves from the roof and gutters, before doing the regular yard clean-up in the fall.

But as a profession, NO WAY! Too much risk & liability associated with working on ladders!

knox gsl and wjjones like this.
  10. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

No gutters for me. I got into cleaning gutters years ago and got so busy cleaning gutters had a hard time keeping up with my cleanups. One day I fell off roof landed on my feet holding my hand held blower and ended up standing between a air conditioning unit and a picket fence. That done it for me. If I would have landed on that picket fence I would now have a career singing tenor in a choir. I now work with a gutter company that I refer for all my gutter cleanings to. I do blow one roof for a customer simple pretty flat roof so its easy.

Mark Stark and wjjones like this.