Do you...?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Advance_lawn_care, Dec 20, 2018.

?

Do you blow leaves of roof and gutters during leaf clean ups?

1. Yes both

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. No both

14 vote(s)
    82.4%
  3. Roof only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care LawnSite Member

K, thats a large no. Glad to hear honestly, hopefully my local market is in agreement. Ive been doing hedges and lawns for 3 years now but this is my first year in leaf removal. Best customer kind if expects it cause the last guy would do it. I told her to contact a gutter cleaning company for gutters and blowing off roof.

Thanks for the input, as a profession it seems like we are largely like minded on the issue so I'll stick to my guns and see what the local market response is for a little while.

wjjones likes this.
  2. wjjones

wjjones LawnSite Senior Member

The response could go either way but as you said stick to your decision for now. Im glad I have spell check so everyone can read my post.:confused:

Doc8406 and sjessen like this.
  3. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Telling them no is an easy sell. Explain your insurance doesn’t cover you being on roofs. Your a landscaper, not a roofer or handyman.

When someone asks me for something special like gutter cleaning, moving a trampoline, putting up a pool, burning leaves/sticks, etc. I tell them the truth. If someone/something gets hurt/damaged by it and it’s not lawncare, my insurance isn’t going to cover it. Therefore, in order for me to stay in business, I can’t provide such service. I’ve never lost a customer due to this.

Most people are fairly reasonable when you tell them the truth.

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i've done it a couple of times in 8 years. it's a rare thing for anyone to ask for it. if it's a steep roof forget about it. even a regular roof is risky. i don't really do it anymore. just take care of the yard only.

come to think about it i've only cleaned out gutters one time by hand with a ladder and it wasn't that much of a gutter just right over the entrance to the house.

LawnVeteran likes this.
  5. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Same. I used to when I started in the biz. But I am not there to be Mr. handyman. The main reason I quit was I was to busy doing LAWNS, and I realized that one slip on a roof and I would be out of business. Not worth it to me to take the risk. I had a close call when my foot slipped on some pine straw on a roof once, and I said never again.

sjessen likes this.
  6. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

We do a fair amount of gutter work. It's always priced separate from our lead clean ups.

They're two completely different services. We don't have employees doing any ladder work (comp & insurance rates are pricey) We leave the ladder work to my partner and myself. When really busy, we'll bring a 3rd guy on a gutter route to hold the extension ladder.

Margins & money is good for gutters. We do repairs and gutter screens as well so it's a whole other line.