1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge headlight switch melts when plow is on

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tcls83, Jan 21, 2006.

1. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

This probably should be in the plowing forum, but I cant seem to subscribe to that for some reason. I have a problem with my headlight switch melting whenever I put my plow on- the wiring harness plug to the headlight is what usually melts. I've gone through 3 of them in the 2 years Ive had the truck. I checked my grounds, everything seems ok. I just got another new one from NAPA and I don't want to go through this again. I've heard people with 94-97 Dodges (The ones with the more squarish styled dash) sometimes have the same problem. Anyone have the same trouble, or know any other things I should check to cure this problem. I'd appreciate any suggestions. It has a Fisher 7.5 Minute Mount.

Maybe this should be in the repair forum, just realized that. This probably should be routed over there.

2. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

I would install a relay into the circuit so that the head light switch activates the relay which would be low current to feed the lights a high current. Similar to a fog light setup.

3. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

you are pulling to much power through the headlight switch put a relay in and that should solve it

4. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

Thanks, I'll try it out.