Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a 2000 Ram 1500 with an automatic transmission. The truck has been used for plowing in the past, and I would continue to plow with it. I have heard that many dodge transmissions fail, for example, I know a guy with a '96 Ram thats on its third transmission. This truck I'm looking at has 97,000 miles on it now, so how much longer before I could expect having to have the trans. rebuilt?

·
Registered
393 Posts
If it were me I would look at something else to buy. I have a 2001 1500 and plowed with it and will expect to have trans rebuilt for second time this fall. Dodge transmissions on the 94-02 models are not meant for the rough handling of plowing snow. If you just went with it for pulling trailer you would be fine.

·
Registered
340 Posts
In defense of the dodge, I had a 98 2500 with 160K that ran great. I believe it was the original tranny and motor. Granted it probably had a heavy duty transmission. It is my understanding that dodge trannys from 97 or 98 up were much better than the 94 to 97-98.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I still torn, I absolutly love this truck, its a red, reg. cab shortbox, it very awsome looking, but the mechanical side of it kinda scares me. Some more opinions/thoughts would be appreachiated.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I think they are under-rated. I really liked mine and miss quite a few features it had. One other thing to consider is the trade in value of Dodges is horrible. You should be able to work people over for a better price. Dodges are hard to sell and I think they have a bad name from years back yet make a good product.

I may be wrong, but I had a good experience. I also just had a 2000 Dakota that was a great truck. Had the 4.7L and got rid of it at 61K miles. The heater core was starting to leak though.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got done looking on auto trader, and found a few other trucks very similar to the one I looked at today, and they were a year newer and had less miles and they were asking about the same price, so I think I'll look at those rater than the one I looked at today.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
If the truck your looking at has been taken care of then it should be fine. The way I look at it if its got 97,000 miles on it and been plowing snow for a while then it must be a good transmission to last that long. Test drive it and see how the transmission acts and if it seems ok then buy it.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I'd never use less than a 3/4 ton truck for plowing snow. A 1/2 ton simply does not have a heavy enough frame to take the abuse from plowing, no matter who makes it. The front suspension would be my bigger worry than a trans on that truck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am not a Dodge fan, but their transmissions would be quite strong and reliable if not for an inadequate pump for the trans fluid. The stock pump is too weak and fluid does not flow very well. Just replace the pump and it will be a good truck to buy. Personally, however, I would look into a Silverado.

·
Registered
30 Posts
95 ram 165,000 miles ,trans was redone once at 90,000 miles. pulls a 6,000lb trailer all summer and plows in the winter....

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
imo the trans failures are due to not maintaing it to dodge spec's or using the wrong kind of fluid. I had a dakota and towed a 16ft trailer with no brakes or anything, and the trans was fine at 80k miles when I sold her. and it was a v6 auto.

·
Banned
21,630 Posts
jblawns123 said:
Yes but that is a 2500, he is talking about a 1500
This is the reason I keep telling you guys that 1500's / 150's ain't cut out for the job because the transmission will fail.
I have an '86 2500 which has the original tranny in it, gets 14mpg and I love it. The only reason people don't get a 3/4 ton is because:
a) they're too cheap (least likely, except maybe brand-new)
b) they are hard to find (most likely, except brand-new)

You really have to look for the 3/4 ton series because EVERYBODY has a 1/2 ton and yes, expect to pay a little more but they're cheaper in the long run (less repairs). Usually takes me several checks before I find the first 3/4 ton, sometimes I look for 6 months for one - They're not all over the place, but it is a true truck. 1/2 ton series are wannabee's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was just trying to defend dodge trucks, you guys were really beating up dodge. I used to talk a lot of s$!t about dodge trucks too. until i got this one, it has been one of the best trucks ive owned yet. In feb. with 150,000 miles i trusted it enough to take it all the way to san antonio tx and back. and in oct i pulled my trailer all the way to pennsylvania with it to do a bunch of work on my grand parents house.(which I did for free)

Maint. is the key. this truck has never been more than 500 miles past an oil change. trans filter and fluid changed regularly. diff. fluid changed every 40,000. everything greased at each oil change. I have no questions that this truck wont go 300,000 miles if i keep it that long.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about the transmission, yes they are a weak spot but there are plenty of aftermarket parts to make them nearly bullet proof for not much more money than a factory rebuild. I bought a '99 2500 with 99,000 miles with the Cummins and an automatic and when it's time for a new tranny in it I am going to get one from these guys Goerend Brothers Transmissions for less than $3,000 and they carry a 100,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Master Po said:
I am not a Dodge fan, but their transmissions would be quite strong and reliable if not for an inadequate pump for the trans fluid. The stock pump is too weak and fluid does not flow very well. Just replace the pump and it will be a good truck to buy. Personally, however, I would look into a Silverado.
The pump in the 47 series dodge trannies is not a problem and is more than adequate. If you are referring to the 46 series trannies, that may be true as I know very little about the internal hard parts and how they differ from the 47's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.