1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge V6 3.7

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Kingbman1, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Kingbman1

Kingbman1 LawnSite Member

Does anyone have a dodge with a v6 3.7. Im looking to buy a 2002 and i was wondering if anyone had problems or what. I wont be towing anything with it. And if i happened to it wouldnt be more than 1 or 2 times a year.

2. D Fricks

D Fricks LawnSite Member

Have 1997 V-6 Ford engine went south with 83000 dont know about the Dodge but I wont buy another V-6 Ford.

3. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

3.7 or 3.9 maby 4.7?

4. greengator

greengator LawnSite Member

I have a 02 QC Dakota 3.9 and I pull a 29 ft travel trailer with it. It is a little sluggish but no problems out of it. I also have a 6x10 trailer with a 60'' exmark and a push mower,still no problems. I am pleased with the 3.9 v6.

5. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

Kingbman,

Did you ever buy this truck? I just bought an 04 Dodge Ram 3.7 v6 5sp. I will be pulling an enclosed 6x10 enclosed that weighs about 1 ton. I havent tried it out yet because I need a hitch but am hoping it will pull okay. I bought the v6 in hopes of better gas mileage. I'm replacing an 85 chevy 3/4 hd w/ 350 /400 turbo. It got around 9 mpg. I'm hoping I can get 13-15mpg while towing.

6. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The 4.2L V6 had an intake gasket defect which caused coolant to get in the crankcase therefore causing the engine to blow.

Ford fixed the problem in 2000, and I have seen several to make it 200,000 with no trouble.

The Ford 3.8 V6 on the other hand, I wouldn't give a nickel for it.

7. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I have the V6 in the 1996 Dakota I use for pulling a 6X12 trailer w/ my 260Z and a push mower. It does a fine job. Acceleration isn't awesome, of course, but it works.

8. DSIM

thanks, mine should work then.

What gears does your truck have?

Mine has 3:73.

Also is that an enclosed your pulling?

9. DSIM

just an update on my truck 04 Dodge Ram 3.7 5sp. I found out that I have 3.55 gears instead of the 3.73 (salesman lied) anyway, I'm getting 15-16 mpg while towing 2300lbs. I just purchased a cai and will soon get a less restictive muffler in hopes of boosting torque. The 13" 4 wheel disk brakes are awesome at stopping this rig! The suspension on this truck seems to be just as heavy duty as my old 3/4 chevy. May eventually change out the rears to 3.73's for more pulling power. Here's a pic of it

DSC00217.jpg