Does a 72" deck cut as nice as a 60"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by landingzone, May 25, 2019.

1. landingzone

landingzone LawnSite Member

I am considering getting a 72" deck on my next mower? Obviously, there are issues as to fit in tight situations, but I'm wondering if there are any other downsides comparing a 72" to a 60" deck.

2. BackCreekLLC

BackCreekLLC LawnSite Member

I’ve debated the same topic with myself. All my research reveals talk about a 72” scalping easier.

Also it is Depending on mowing conditions; but engine size may need to be larger if you’re in thick or unkept properties.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

How flat is your mowing?

4. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

They do scalp a little worse but that can be managed with better mowing patterns. The biggest issue encounter is ditch lines with crap in the way that’s less than 72 inches away from the bottom of the ditch. The other problem is sitting close to 80” wide your trailer choices go way down. You’re pretty much in car hauler trailer territory. Very few lawnmower trailers or 16’ or less enclosed trailers can handle it.

5. OP
    OP
    landingzone

landingzone LawnSite Member

Does the cut grass clear the deck as well? Seems like it has farther to travel from the center.

6. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe a little worse since you’re throwing out more grass in the same area. But if necessary you can always take a partial pass. I find the cut quality of the 72” to be better vs the 60 on level ground. I contribute that to the 5” longer blades.

Dawson and Wye Oak Tree like this.
  7. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

Greatly depends on the brand as well. Different size decks inside a single series of decks will cut differently.

For instance I have heard multiple people on here say the 72" ICD deck is amazing but the 61" is less as good.

8. Anthony Divit

Anthony Divit LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I run two 60's and bought a scag 72 last year. I love it as it cut 2 hours off of my mowing day. I mow 3 days a week. Last year I ran it 2 days a week now I run it 3 days and use it on any size property. They do scalp as you get to 3 inches and lower. Not any worse then a 60 at the same height. You have to ride the deck on certain spots like with a lot of mowers. If it is just you running it, it will do what you need. If you have multiple people using it then stick with a 60. If I could run 2 of them a day I would. It's all in how you mow and I won't go back to only 60 I like getting done earlier.

9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You summed it up well...I can do anything with a 72 that can be done with a 60, except go between 2 trees 5 1/2' apart. I've not owned a 60" decked mower since 2004. Once a person gets familiar with operating a 72, they hate the thought of running a 60, personally, I would never own another 60" mower for my cutting situation.

10. Capt J-rod

Capt J-rod LawnSite Member

I had a Kubota F3060 diesel. It was a great all-around machine with a 72" side discharge. I also had a snow blade. I never cared for the quality of the mower. If it was dry and sunny with bluebird conditions it mowed nice. If it was tall or wet, the deck struggled to get the clippings from the far side to the chute and would leave a line of clippings. I tried gator blades etc.... No luck. If there was any contour of the land it would scalp on one side and float up on the other. I switched to a scag TT2 with a 61" deck. The cut is excellent and the only complaint is no snow blade. I put a blade on my Kubota 900 RTV but a rear steer 4wd snow plow was BAD ASS.