Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currenlty have an 60 super z and will very soon be getting either a 60 or 72 Lazer Z to replace it. I was wondering if the 72" would be able to cut a well as a 60" since it will have to cut more grass at the same 18,500 fpm as the 60. I would think that more grass, bigger blades, and the same dept of the deck would a least theoretically cause the quality to be less than the 60. This is a concern for me becuse the quality of the super z cut is why I'm swithing over.
:confused:

·
Registered
565 Posts
You can slow down just a bit, and the cut will be as good, just be sure and get a bigger moter!!

JIM

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
If the super z is not producing a quality cut because of the 60 inch deck why are you replacing it with a 72? I have a Hustler Z 52 that cuts beautifully. I demoed both the 60 Super Z and the Hustler Z 52 and both produced great results. I went with the smaller mower for manuverability. I agree with the above reply. Slow down a little and the Super Z will give great results.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Danny,

From what I'm hearing, the Hustler's cut is on par with Exmarks. So if your just switching to get a way better cut, maybe you shouldn't.

A 72" mower is 15% more productive than a 60" deck in sheer acres/hr.

Most 72"ers with a properly mated high power engine will cut BETTER and faster than a 60" deck. There is simply MORE deck and the blades are LONGER.

However side scalping is greatly enhanced with a 72" deck. You'll want at least a 28hp engine for high productivity in a 72" cut.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
My Super Z 60" cuts St. Augustine every bit as well as my EPS Lazer 60". Bahia cuts a little faster with the Lazer. I have never used a 72" mower myself, but I find I can cut just about anything with the 60"s . All three of our 60" mowers cut better than anything we had before, including walkbehinds and smaller riders. I guess I'm just weird :) I'll put a 60" on anything, 5k-50K feet :cool:

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
I'm with ya on that Keith.

I'm putting my 60" on 7K - 310K

I may be loosing that big one next year, and the next biggest is only about 3.5 acres. If that big lawn wasn't being sold and subdivided :mad: into 7 lots, I'd seriously think of opting for a 72"er and persue the much bigger lots.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I was also looking at the 72" Lazer Z w/ 31 hp EFI. What I have found is you loose a lot of versatility by going with the larger deck. If you have any hills, drainage ditches, tight turns on a incline/decline, etc. the 60" is the way to go.

·
Banned
776 Posts
Depending on the situation, I prefer the 72 over the 60. Unless you have a lot of properties which are highly landscaped, go with the 72. Most of the places I have worked at in the past, a 72" machine coupled with a 48" walk behind would be ideal. Wherever the rider can't go (hills / through gates / etc) the 48" machine usually can.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the reply's. I too put my 60 on everthing, even postage stamp losts.
I'm mostly switching becasue I mow early in the morning and would like to start earlier next year and the Super Z sucks in wet grass and tall grass too. I lost too many clients this spring do to poor wet cutting, and I don't like waiting till it dry's. If it's not raining, I'm mowing. Monday we got 7.5 inches of rain, 7AM Tuesday I was out mowing.:)
I want a 72, but since I have alot of 10-15K lawns with landscaping I might stick with the 60 Lazer Z, I just don't want to regret it when I get larger accounts and commercial ones too.
anyway, thanks
Dan

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Must be a northern grass thing. We have been cutting wet/tall St. Augustine and had no unusal problems with excessive clumping so far with the Super Z. There are heavy areas that have to be double cut to disperse clippings, but thats acceptable, even with the Lazer we have to do that. But like I said, I guess its just the grass we are cutting. Get what works for you. I think you will be happy sticking with the 60" though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I want a 72 more than a 60, but I don't know if I really need it. It's just that a 60" is only 5ft, that's small 72" is 6ft, I'm 6ft and don't think it's that big. When I sit on dixie choppers and john deers 72 machine they too seem samll to me and managable , but their decks don't overhang alot on the lef(trim) side.
Do any 72" LazerZ owners have a problem with the overhange on smaller lawns and on hills. The overhang is 11 inches, that kind of seems to me alot.
Sorry I'm really trying to make the right choice and stressing out about this. I wish I could demo, but none of my dealers have a 72 Lazer Z.
:cry: :dizzy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.